Friday, March 13, 2009

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD?

For the last couple of weeks, I've been opening up my copy of Photoshop and trying to do more than just crop and resize a photo. And ya know what? I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

So yesterday I went a Googling. I found an online set of tutorials, signed up, and actually went through six or seven of them. I know about red eye, and sizing, and channels, and layers, and all sorts of other stuff, but the one thing I don't know is how to actually open a project and get to work.

This set of tutorials promised me I'd be able to do just about anything in just two hours. And they went through some pretty complicated stuff. But I still can't open a document and go to work.

What is it I want to do?

I'm not exactly sure, but I've been looking at a lot of web sites and a lot of blog sites with lots of graphic elements in them. One of them is known as Shabby Creations, and here's one of the blog banner's the owner done (for an incredibly reasonable price, I might add):

Harmony hill graphicThere're at least 14 graphic elements in this blog banner -- and ain't it grand? I want to be able to do that kind of stuff. I have no plans to market graphics, I just want to be able to do something like this for my own promotional activities--and as a creative outlet.

Before I can do that, I still have to figure out how to open a document, and isolate all those images. (And I just bought a boatload of Dover (copyright free) publications to experiment with.)

Anybody have some Photoshop tips they can share?