Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Murder On The Mind on Audio

A little over a year ago, my first published novel (under the name L.L. Bartlett), MURDER ON THE MIND, went out of print. Let me tell you, that's heartbreaking--especially when there are other books in the series waiting in the wings. Its sequel, Dead In Red, hadn't even been published, and it wasn't possible to get new copies of the book.


I had to find ways to keep the series alive. The first thing I did, was pitch the book to an audio company, BOOKS IN MOTION. They're a very small audio publisher with a niche audience: long-distance truckers. (They rent or buy the books at truck stops and places like Cracker Barrel.) The contract wasn't fantastic, but it is non-exclusive. (Which means, should the series suddenly take off--I can sell the audio rights to someone else. Okay, it's not likely to happen, but it's possible.)

The second way to keep the series alive was uploading it to Amazon's Kindle. It's been available since October. (Where it appears to be growing an audience, albeit microscopic.)

In the meantime, I've had to wait, and wait, and wait for the audio version to become available.

BIM cover The wait is over, and Murder On The Mind is now available. You can find it here. It's available in five different prices/formats (either for rent or purchase), CDs or MP3 download.

Books In Motion is not known for having good covers. In this case, they cribbed the idea behind the Worldwide Mystery paperback edition. Eh, it's better than I thought it would be (but, honest, there is no fireplace, nor is there a leather easy chair in the book. Go figure).

I'm just happy that new "readers" will find the book. Now, when will I get my copy so I can hear my book performed, and will I like it?

I'll let you know.