Thursday, June 4, 2009


It seems the most popular pet peeve these days is people who will not stop talking on their cell phone. Here's Krista Davis's (author of the Domestic Diva Mysteries) take on it.

Red hat This pet peeve makes me feel like a cranky old aunt. You know the kind -- wears a hat at all times, gives those stares full of daggers when etiquette is breached, and wishes white gloves were still all the rage.

In a way I suppose I'm lucky, because it took this long before someone answered a cellphone and talked while we were eating in a restaurant. Now, I'm not a stickler for haughty behavior, but it was a little bit odd to have someone engaged in a conversation with someone else right in front of me. I didn't want to listen in, and we were eating, so I didn't really want to excuse myself, either. And I had to wonder why that call couldn't have waited.

Which brings me to my point. Why are we on the phone all the time?

I recently made a trip to a big box store and kept passing a woman who was on the phone while she shopped. As far as I could tell, she talked non-stop. If I had been one of her three children, I'd have been tossing huge boxes of cookies into the shopping cart, because she wouldn't have noticed. In fact, I wondered if she would remember to buy whatever it was that she needed. As it happened, I was loading my car when she left the store. She was still on the phone! When she pulled out of the parking lot, with the three children in her car, she drove with one hand so she could continue to hold the phone to her ear with the other hand. What was so important that it couldn't wait until she got home?

Banned cellphone It seems like all sorts of places now have signs insisting people not use their phones when they enter, or when they're in line. The local courthouse confiscates phones. You can't even bring one inside, because they don't trust people to turn them off. I can't say I blame them.

Friends of mine who loved to sail had one rule -- no phones. They were onto something good. Everyone on board left work, business, and personal problems behind and relaxed. These days, it seems like everyone takes their problems with them. No wonder we're so tense. Everything has been elevated to emergency status, and we never turn off the phone and take time for ourselves.

Umbrella drink But to that end, I'm going to start posting cocktails on every Friday. Turn off your phone, mix yourself a drink, and kick back with me!

And what's bugging YOU today?

Diva cake Nationally bestselling author Krista Davis writes the Domestic Diva Mystery series. The first book in the series, The Diva Runs Out of Thyme, was nominated for an Agatha award. Her second book, The Diva Takes the Cake, has just been released. Watch the trailer here.