Thursday, July 23, 2009

PET PEEVE THURSDAY: Nothing is Safe From Chester

I love my cats.  They are a source of constant joy.
They're also a pain in the neck.

Each of them have their little quirks.  Fred likes to chill out in his carrier during the day.  Betsy likes to "work out" (pretend to claw) your foot.  Bon-Bon likes to hear the sound of water dripping from the bathroom tap.  And then there's Chester.  Chester is a "wool eater."

Grooming According to the cat book, wool eaters eat fabric.  Chester actually doesn't eat wool, but there's no doubt about it--he's a "texture" fiend and fabric of any kind is his friend.  He likes to lick the kitty cushions under the big (200 watt) light bulb.  He'll lick the afghan on the couch (if we don't catch him), and he's very fond of all his fabric (including Beanie Baby) toys.

But he's also fond of MY STUFF.  NOTHING IS SAFE.  My friend Gwen makes lovely woven bookmarks, and I have been the happy recipient of many of them.  But I can't leave them laying around or else Chester (the nosy) will find them.  Then he'll "kill" them (with much yowling) and then carry them around in great triumph before presenting them to my husband or me.  We don't dare leave a pair of socks on the bathroom floor. Next thing you know, they'll be in the kitchen or the dining room.  I have a pile of beautiful linen napkins in a basket--all set for a charity auction.  They've been ending up all over the house, too.  (Back in the laundry they go.)  Same with a dresser scarf I bought last week.  You never know what treasure Chester is going to find and redistribute.

Okay, as peeves go, this is a small one--but it's still annoying.  (And cute at the same time.)

And what's bugging you today?
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I can understand this one, Lorna. I just don't know why! My Josh will eat (yes, he does eat material) anything - tails off toy mice, the material from under our bed springs. I've replaced shoe strings a couple times because he ate them. What is missing in his diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I had never heard of this one!!! Fortunately my cat is pretty easy. My Border collie is an emotional wet blanket!! I looove her I do, she is sweet and loving and amazing with my kiddos. But....there are some days that I just can't take one more elbow kiss, or her putting her head in my lap and giving me those sad eyes for the 50th time in 60 minutes..makes me wanna scream some days. I love on her alot, the kids love on her alot she is not lacking attention..she is just a border collie and they need lots! So..like you not a huge issue..just somedays, now and again...it really bugs me!!! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Sarah. Chester has always been my husband's boy, but lately he's decided to "share the love." Only sharing the love means trying to sit on my arms while I attempt to write a book, answer e-mail, or even EAT. I love you, Chester--just NOT RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a cat that used to chew holes in socks, sweaters, anything slightly stretchy.

    I had another cat who had to be on your lap ALL the time. Sometimes I'd just get tired of it and put him down and the next thing I know, he's back. I watched the process once. I put him down. He waited a second and then slowly walked around to the other side of the chair. Then, ever so slowly and without looking directly at me (apparently I can't see him if he's not looking at me, although, since I was watching out of the corner of my eye and he didn't realize it, maybe he was right) he put one paw, then another on the footstool and inched his way back to up my lap.

    Cats are so much fun to watch when they are putting one over on you. @8~)

    CathWren

    ReplyDelete