Friday, August 21, 2009

Dodging the Deadline Bullet

I once thought that I worked well under pressure, but it turns out I was tragically mistaken.  I thought I thrived on deadline pressure--but I was only fooling myself.

For the last three or four months, I have been living under the belief that my writing deadlines were fierce and possibly unattainable.  I've been beating myself up for NOT READING MY CONTRACT closer before I signed.  I've got multiple things going in my life.  The pressure has been building, and Mylanta has become my new best friend.

But then on Thursday I decided ENOUGH--it was time to know exactly what my deadlines were for the next five books.  I hauled out my contracts and made a chart of when things are actually due and was pleasantly surprised.

Misapprehension #1:  I thought I had to have the synopsis written for Booktown #5 by September 1st.   Nope--it's not due until JANUARY first.  First major sigh of relief.

Understading #2:  The first Victoria Square book (A Matter of Murder) is due on December 1st.  All too true.  And, as the book is in good shape, I have plenty of time to polish it.

Misapprehension #2:  Booktown #5 is due March 1st.  Nope--it's not due until June 1st.  Yea!  I have nine months to write it (or six, if I don't start it until January--and that's not my plan at all).

Misapprehension #3:  That I have only three months between deadlines for my books.  Untrue.  I have three months between deadlines of book and synopses.  That is:  synopsis for one book due in March (Victoria Square #2); Booktown #5 manuscript due in June, etc.  Okay, September 2010 is a bit dicey as I have a manuscript due AND a synopsis due the same month (10 days apart), but with this much advance notice, I think I'm okay.

This is a HUGE weight off my mind.  My only hope is that real life doesn't get in the way of these deadlines.

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea how you keep all that straight. As for "not reading my contract closer"...I see a LOT of complaints about that from authors. I'm thinking book contracts must be the most complicated things to understand on earth, because intelligent, creative, sensible people have so much trouble with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Authors (e.g. normal -- ha! -- people) have difficulty with book contracts because book contracts are written by LAWYERS (need I say more?). As we all know, LAWYERS are only marginally people and 'normal' does not figure in their makeup. (I say this w/lawyers in my own family. I speak from experience. GRIN.) Book contracts are (it seems) deliberately written to confuse and obfuscate normal people. Therefore, that you have been able to penetrate that confusing language to figure out your schedule is commendable. Congrats! AND your deadlines all seem to be doable. An even bigger congrats! You go, girl! (Just don't get cocky. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your deadlines worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your deadlines! Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate, but when it's work you love, it makes all the difference. :)

    ReplyDelete