Monday, January 4, 2010

What Would Hank Do?

It's that time of year when a lot of us make resolutions to change.  One of the biggest resolutions is the old I WILL LOSE WEIGHT gambit.  I've tried this a number of times and it's never worked out.

*Sigh*

I was pleased to see that Dr. Oz says to toss away the scale and start eating right, concentrating on losing inches, not pounds.  Inches around the belly.  Easier said than done.

Hank-phillippi-ryan-sitting-thumb A few weeks back, my friend, Hank Phillippi Ryan, revealed the secret of how she keeps so trim.

Hank is an Emmy-award winning investigative reporter with Boston's Channel 7 WHDH-TV station.  She's also won the coveted Agatha Award for her first mystery, Prime Time.  (And she's got a new book out next month, Drive Time, 4th in the Charlotte McNally mystery series.)

Anyway, when Hank is tempted by luscious desserts, fattening sauces, and marvelous munchies, she asks herself one question:

Would Jackie Kennedy Onassis eat this?

Whoa!  Students of history know that Jackie O didn't have an ounce of fat on her.  (She was also a chain smoker, which may or may NOT have helped her keep that trim figure.)  Hank doesn't smoke, so I have to think that she stays in dynamite shape because of those six little words.

So like Hank, I'm going to adopt six little words to help me NOT give in to temptation.

Starting today, when I want to eat that cookie, or take an extra helping of potatoes, I'm going to ask myself one question:

Would Hank Phillippi Ryan eat this?

I think I already know the answer to that.  (How about you?)

17 comments:

  1. That's why Hank is a great writer. She makes an important point in just six words. Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. This is great. I think you've started a whole new movement, Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope so, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really made me smile! I've always told people that when shopping for clothes my criteria has always been "would Jackie O wear this?" It's saved me from some serious mistakes!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and I like that six words can make a change.

    Have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am laughing so hard! You are too amazing and too wonderul--and way too hilarious.

    And if it works,hmm, let's write a book about it. Forget this fiction thing--we can do world domination of the non-fiction self-help diet market!

    GO Lorraine! If you lose weight, we'll have your second best-seller! (Wait, would it be your third?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having had dinner with Hank on her birthday, I can truthfully say...she does exactly as she says. (And I followed her sterling example! Now I just need to eat with Hank more often.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, we need a list of what Hank DOES eat. That can be your next blog. 'Cause I'm not waiting for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hank - love your books and love the pithy diet advice. You could call the nonfiction book The Jackie Onassis Diet - now you just need to find another 80,000 or so words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yeah. I'm in on this one. LOL. And we can all listen to the echo of "would Hank Phillipi Ryan eat this?" bounce around the country. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was about to swipe a piece of the Chocolate Monopoly game when I read your post, Lorraine. I know Hank would not eat the Chocolate Monopoly pieces so I restrained myself. Now I can hear those little squares calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate Monopoly??? Wow--such restraint. I still have a little Christmas candy and calling me--and after I thought I'd already eaten it all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dalrene, you are hilarious! Good call! No, I would not eat the chocolate Monopoly pieces. (Unless, perhaps, they are 70 per cent (or more)--in which case I certainly would.)

    Lynn, 80,000 more words, huh? We could make funny chapter headings: CH. 1. Jackie O's NOs! CH. 2: Mrs. Onassis Passes on the Fries CH.3 White House Yes, White Food No.

    Okay, maybe not..

    ReplyDelete
  14. CH.4 Cape Cod YES, Cape Cod Chips, NO.

    Somebody stop me..Lorraine, this is all your fault!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And Joanna--I'm always ready for dinner...and I'm eager to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aha! A new weight loss "secret"! WHPRET! WWHPRD! I'm in. As soon as the rest of the Christmas treats are gone. Almost there.

    ReplyDelete