Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An unhappy consumer

As some of you will recall, I got a new fridge a couple of weeks ago.  The appliance showroom was full of those autopsy fridges (stainless steel) which looked big enough to store a woolly mammoth.  Meanwhile, all the fridges that were either white, bisque, or black looked like a LOT smaller than the autopsy fridges.

Eager for a sale, the salesman (no doubt working on commission) shook his head.  "No, ma'am, all these fridges have the same square footage."

Hmm.  I didn't have a tape measure, so there was no way I could check.
So I purchased my fridge and waited a week for them to deliver it. 
It took one huge ice chest, a medium ice chest, and a big plastic bag to empty my old freezer.  Luckily, it was about 15 degrees outside, so out in the enclosed porch it went.

The new fridge arrived, and when I put all the stuff back inside of the refrigerator part with no trouble.  And then I started putting the frozen stuff away.  Guess what?  I only managed to put two-thirds of the freezer stuff back.  (I still have a bag of bread out on the enclosed porch.)  And since then, everything inside of it has been trying to escape--especially heavy pieces of frozen meat. 

I've been pelted by chicken, sausage, frozen bags of lima beans and peas, birthday candles, bags of ice, boxes of puff pastry and veggies burgers, and one thing's for sure:  That freezer is much, MUCH smaller than the old freezer.

The fridge is DEFINITELY smaller.  It might be the same height as the old one, but it's definitely . . . thinner.  There's about five inches more space around it than the old one.  That's probably why it rates as an Energy Star model.  Of course it takes less energy to run . . . IT'S SMALLER!

The thing is...we're stuck with it.  No more buying veggies on sale.  No more frozen loafs of bread.

I am unhappy and I loathe my new freezer.

Have you ever been disappointed by a major appliance?

5 comments:

  1. OMG--this is a riot. I am jonesing for a new fridge and you're putting a 'chill' on my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you take it back? There should be a time in which you can return it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend, just bite the bullet and invest in a small(er) stand-alone FREEZER. Put it in the basement or in your office (it's cold enough most of the time, right?), or even on the back porch. Then you can store all your freezer stuff, buy veggies on sale, and even have room for all that bread you collect. That's what we've done. We simply can NOT have a big refrigerator in our kitchen (the space where the fridge has to go is WAAAAY too small) so the breezeway has not only our stand alone freezer, but a smaller fridge for soft drinks, hubby's beer, overflow cheeses, fresh veggies, etc. that can't fit in the "kitchen" fridge. No autopsy-size fridges for us & no extra fridge in the basement, either. You get used to it, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After being pelted with my freezer inhabitants too many times to count, I realized that part of the reason this happens (aside from being overstuffed) is because the freezed back curves to the bottom - it is not a right angle!! Who designed this thing?!?! Obviously a sadist.

    Also, because of the motory thingy that hangs down from the top of the refrigerator section AND the length of the cold cut drawer, we can only put tall things in very few places - sigh.

    The ice chest idea is a great one!

    Ritaestelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you cant return it..I agree with the idea, of getting a small stand alone freezer. I recently purchased my first stand alone freezer, and it sure comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete