Monday, May 24, 2010

Money buys happiness -- for 50 cents!

The weekend's junking expedition started off with a fizzle.  I had seen a sign saying a church rummage sale was set for Friday and Saturday.  No surprise--it always had been on a Friday and Saturday before.  So I showed up bright and early and . . . no line.  What gives?  Oh, they decided to hold the sale on THURSDAY, Friday and Saturday this year.  Ha-ha!  I bought a 25 cent bowl and left.  The other three sales I passed on the way had nothing of interest.  But I did have to pass the rummage sale sign again and low and behold, someone had hand written in THURS.

Saturday was better.  One sale in particular, too.  We have a Saturday circuit and we'd been to a sale at this barn a couple of years ago and everything was EXPENSIVE, so I had low expectations. Apparently there'd been a death in the family and they were eager to get rid of stuff, so the prices were terrific.

The gristmill mug I'm a sucker for brown transferware, so when I saw this Old Sturbridge Village mug, I knew I had to have it.  Any time you buy a souvenir these days, you can bet it was made in China.  Not so my little brown mug.  Ironstone, Made In England (which tells me it was probably purchased 20-30 years ago).

Old sturbridge mug It just so happens, that several years ago my husband, parents and I made a trip to the old Sturbridge Village.  It was a wonderful trip, but I didn't buy any kind of souvenir, so I was pleased to find this.

Logo for mug And here's what it says on the bottom of the mug.

Don't you just love it?  And the cost?  Fifty cents.

I bought more things at the sale--like a whole bag of doilies (12) for $1.  Birthday candles (can you ever have enough of them?) and . . . brown craft tags (a big bag for 50 cents--they look like toe tags.  Gotta think of something wonderful for those), earrings (for 25 cents a pair).  I'm sure there was more, but I can't remember right now.  No doubt about it, it was the best sale of the weekend.

Did you get anything good at the sales this weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your garage sale romp, Lorna.

    I just love finding bargains and unusual things, too.

    The only problem is that I have a lot of stuff now for my own garage sale. heheh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Cathy. That's what they call the "Catch and Release" program over at www.Yardsalebloodbath.com -- and I intend to have release some stuff at the end of the summer. I like owning it for a while, and then letting it find new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mug find. You can't ever have too mugs. :) I can't believe you found dollies. Were they handmade or machine? I haven't seen handmade dollies in so long. You find the best garage sales.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason, all but three were hand crocheted doilies. I have a thing about seeing anything that's handmade sold for pennies. It breaks my heart. Think of all the hard work that went into those doilies, and to be sold for so cheap. Of course, the reality is that I have about a million doilies and dresser scarfs. Maybe I'll put a couple in the Victoria Square Malice Domestic basket next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you. What a find. I love Ironstone. I have a wonderful Daisy shaped platter that's Ironstone. I use it for Birthday cakes. I'm also a sucker for transferware, but my faves are Hall Pottery and McCoy. My aunt just gifted me with a genie latern shaped Hall teapot that was my grandmother's. It's in gorgeous condition. Nice to see that others appreciate that you unique finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Teagan. My mother has a ton of Hall pottery and is thinking of lightening the load. It looks like the market for Hall fell apart a few years ago (thanks to Ebay) and she bought at the height of popularity. I have a maroon Hall teapot that I love. I bought it at a flea market in Vermont for $2. I love finding bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that mug you purchased. Is it as solid as it looks? I love heavy mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, Dru, it's not very heavy, but it feels GOOD in your hand. I'm going to love this one for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete