Monday, July 26, 2010

Cheaters!

I'm like an absent-minded professor (without the PhD, that is). I have a very bad habit of losing things.  Mr. Lorna calls it "the drop and go" syndrome.  I'll be carrying something in my hand (glass of water, car keys, glasses, scissors, pens, pencils, camera, purse, and the list goes on and on and on) and because I'm thinking of something else, I'll set it down on my way to somewhere else . . . and forget where I put it.  This means I spend a lot of time looking for stuff.

One of the things I lose the most is reading glasses.  Now, if I only had one pair of them, it would be one thing.  But I have at LEAST six pairs of them around the house.  I keep them any place I like to plop down to read:  The dining room, the living room, my office, the bedroom, the enclosed porch, and the family room.  You'd think that with six pairs I would always have a pair available.

That would work if I didn't wear them on my travels to the kitchen, to answer the door, or wandering around looking for something else.  So I take them off, drop them wherever and keep moving.

To fight the syndrome, instead of becoming much more efficient I've bought four more pair of "cheaters" (reading glasses).  I have no idea where I'm going to put them (there are no safe places--I forget where I put stuff, remember), so it's a fair bet that I'll lose these in no time flat, too.  (I've found if I have a glasses case in a designated spot (like my office or the porch), I'm better at putting them away. 

Guess I'd better go buy some more glasses cases.

How about you?  Do you have drop and go syndrome, too?

8 comments:

  1. Great! Now I have a name for my disability. Drop and Go Syndrome. I do that with my book, my drink, my pen, my keys, you name it. As for your glasses, maybe you should get one of those chains to wear around your neck. I have a few of those - that I've dropped various places. I also have a really cute little wooden lady with a big nose designed to hold my glasses. Only problem is that she's seldom in the room where I am when I take off my reading glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm trying in vain to help Dave find something in his machine shop, I'll know what to call his problem. He's always complaining though about other people who leave things where they last used them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh ... have you ever thought of putting your reading glasses on a necklace-type, chainy thing and hang them around your neck? Then, no matter WHERE you are, you'll always have a pair at hand. (Or at neck.) I don't have that particular problem as I can't navigate without my glasses, but I have been blessed with a tiny bit of the Drop and Go syndrome regarding books, remotes, pens, etc.

    Of course, the glasses-on-a-chain won't help for your keys ... how about that clapper gadget? You attach your keys (or other major device that disappears) to a receiver and when you want it, you clap your hands. Supposed to give off a signal so you can hunt the noise to find the prize. Not sure how well that works, but ....

    P.S. Finally figured out what the Google account thing was in choosing an identity. In case you're wondering ... this is from Laurie & I think you're responsible for the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading glasses are the worst. At least the cordless phone will beep when I ask it to, to tell me where it is.

    My husband is always suggesting I get a neckchain thingy so I don't lose my glasses. I can't seem to make him understand about Mrs. Elswick. She was my sixth grade teacher and the first person I knew who wore one (constantly). She was the sweetest person imaginable but she was 110 years old, with long flowered dresses and high black lace up shoes. If I start wearing my glasses on a chain around my neck, I could turn into Mrs. Elswick. I can't risk it.

    Does anyone understand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sooooooo understand your decision NOT to wear a chain on your cheaters. If I wore them, I'd turn into Mrs. Smith--my second grade teacher. Not gonna happen. Uh-uh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Laurie! I think you might be right about that picture. Oh, the days I took so much B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have it but my roommate does, so I get good at tracking where she's been, so I can help find the lost. Time to train your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have cheaters everywhere. I even carry 2 pairs in my purse just in case I leave one somewhere.

    ReplyDelete