Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Changing Seasons

I always tell people I love living in Western New York because I like the changing of the seasons.
Okay, that's a lie.  I only live here because ... I live here.  It's all I know.  I wouldn't want to go anywhere else because I'd have to learn where to go to get even the basics. It could take YEARS to feel "at home" somewhere else.  (Hey, I lived in Los Angeles for a short time.  Never again!)

I love when the seasons change.  Okay, one season:  Spring to summer.  I can tolerate summer changing to fall, too.

We're heading into winter. I loathe winter.  I hate being cold.  I hate snow and ice and relentless wind that takes down trees because our utility people are too cheap to put the wires underground.  And think about it, it's 19th century technology in the 21st century.  Most of Europe has their electrical wires underground.  They're smart.  We're still stuck in the 19th century.

When I look out my window in the spring, I see things gradually turning green.  New life.  It's fun to see the changes.

Irises6-08 When I look out my window in the summer, I see flowers--lots and lots of flowers.

When I look out my window in the fall, I look for flowers (and actually found a stunted red rose last Friday.  I don't suppose it will open, but there it was trying to bloom).

Soon, I'll see a sea of white snow.

Yup, I like spring and summer best.

What's your favorite season?

9 comments:

  1. My favorite season is either spring or fall. I don't mind the winter if it wasn't so windy here in Oklahoma. My least favorite is summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But don't you remember from living in LA (we were there for six years)...without winter, spring is nothing. There's no excitement in seeing that first hint of green when it's been green all year long, that first breath of warm air when it never gets cold. For me, it's not the season, it's the change of seasons I love best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL--that's the problem, Linda--I lived in LA during the late spring, summer, and early fall. I wasn't there during the winter. No, I came back just in TIME for winter. ==:o

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall and winter! I lived in Charlotte, NC for most of my life until I moved up north 10 years ago. I love it up here in southern MA! But, then again, I HATE the heat, makes me sick, litterally. I always thought it was ironic to have been born in such a warm place and to have hot weather make me so sick lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spring. Everything's waking up and new. I hate hate hate New England winters. Ugh. They're colder and worse than the dreaded NYC winter with its slush puddle that looks like pavement until you're ankle deep in freezing cold messiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Ohio for 50+ years and resisted moving to Arizona for retirement, but now I LOVE it! We have two springs, because when it cools off in the fall plants bloom profusely and it really is a second spring. It's much easier to cope with heat than it is with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the beginning of Spring and Fall. I love winter and looking at the snow when I'm indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with most of you -- I love spring! I can tolerate summer (MUCH better than winter!!! even if it does get too dratted hot), and I can even appreciate fall (crisp days, fall foliage) but ... winter. Ugh. Love looking at the snow (from inside!!) but detest the gray days, the cold, the early darkness, the slush, the ice, having to shovel the dratted white stuff ... h'mm ... guess I don't like winter. Only good thing are the holidays and when the Winter Solstice has gone and the days start to lengthen. Guess I'm with you on liking spring and summer best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fall the most because I live in northeast PA where the mountains are alive with color. When I was still working I hated winter with a passion, partly because I live on top of a mountain, but now that I'm retired I can just sit by the fire and enjoy it - more time for reading.

    ReplyDelete