Friday, January 28, 2011

Not my ankles!

I'm sure most of you have noticed that ... it's been a long, dark, COLD winter.  We keep the house at 70 and even that seems pretty cold most days.  So, a few weeks back, I decided to break out the thermal underwear . . .

. . . only to discover that I had left most of it at our summer cottage.  (It gets mighty cold there in April and in October.)

So, off I went to K-Mart and bought some Joe Boxer women's ANKLE LENGTH thermal pants.

The problem is, they don't reach my ankles.  They only reach mid-calf.
Sadly, I don't fit their typical body size.  I happen to have long legs, which means I can't buy pants in the regular women's section, unless I want to look like a doofus.  I have to buy "tall" items from a catalog.  And my favorite catalog is soon to be no more.  My mother told me that Penney's is going to discontinue their catalog.
My first thought was:  where will I get pants???

I have a feeling I'll be trolling the Internet for pants and hoping when I get them that they actually fit.

How about you--is there something you can't wear because your body doesn't fit some manufacturer's norm?

7 comments:

  1. Short arms, short legs, long waist. But it's easier for me than for my mom. She's a chubby petite! Whatever we find to fit her waist always has to be hemmed or altered so her sleeves and pantlegs aren't in her way!

    btw, we keep our heat set on 65º during the day. Long johns are a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I have long legs as well but not tall enough for 'tall' pants which look ridiculous on me. I used to buy those 'silkies' stockings until I realized their tall size fit women who were exceptionally skinny and tall (waistband at my hipline) and their queen size fit women who were six feet. The waistband always came to my bustline. Good luck on finging something that fits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one good thing about being 70 years old is that I've shrunk from 5'7 1/2" to 5'6" and now regular size pants are the right length. I remember very well having to hem "tall" pants because regular ones were highwater on me. The bad thing is trying to reach groceries on the top shelf. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of things don't fit me, my legs are too long for regular pants, my feet are too wide for shoes, I do a lot of online purchasing. Make sure that the online store has a good return policy, so that you can get the right fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya. I am average height, long waisted, short legs, big bust, wi-d-e feet. Unless I want to cut 2-3 inches off every pant, I have to go up a size and get petites. Also have to go up a size in my top to prevent gaping. Good news for you (maybe), JCP is probably ONLY discontinuing their catalog but you'll probably be able to order online with the same product choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just gotten used to hemming pants, which gets annoying. Most regular lengths are an inch or two too long for me, and petites are not only too short in length but also have too short a rise. Good luck finding that perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have short legs but a longer torso so if I buy petites the rise is too short. My favorite place to get pants is Lands End (online). Most of their pants are hemmed to order - no additional charge. They have some things in tall but I know Eddie Bauer has a good tall selection. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete