Wednesday, May 11, 2011

About that contest . . .

Victoria Square logo Okay, yesterday I was supposed to announce the winner of the NAME THE THIRD VICTORIA SQUARE MYSTERY.
As contests go, this was very successful.  I had over 90 suggestions from more than 30 entries.

I kept two lists.  The first was everything:  who suggested the title and the titles themselves.  The second list had just the titles.  I didn't pay attention as to who suggested what.  That way I figured everybody had a fair shot at it.

So, I sorted through the list and picked out my six favorites.  Then I narrowed it down to one.  Great title: I wrote to the winner and said--YOU WON!!!  Then I told Mr. L the winning entry.

"Isn't that a book by Dick Francis."  Oops.  No wonder I liked the title.  I went to Amazon and sure enough, there were at least four other booths with a variation of that as a title.  (Dead Heat.)

Clearly, I wasn't as good at this as I thought.

Oh well, I sent off all the titles to my editor.  I figured he'd pick a good one.  And I went back to Amazon.  Sure enough, there were variations of ALL of them.

Woe is me.

NO! My editor shot back an email saying he didn't like ANY of the titles.
Woe is me times two.

Oh well.  I'll just award a prize to the person who suggested MY favorite title.  But, oh!  It's my friend Dru-Ann Love.  Dru reviews cozy mysteries each 15th of the Month on the Cozy Chicks blog, of which I am a member.  It might look like favoritism.  (Although Dru never reviews any cozy chicks book on our blog as it might look like favoritism.) AND Dru already gets books from my publisher TO review, including Sentenced to Death--the prize in this contest.

Okay, so I had to go back and look at the list and pick out my next favorite title on the short list, even though it will NOT be used on the book.  (Marketing is going to name this one--just like they named A Crafty Killing (don't tell anyone but I loathe that title--but hey, as long as the checks keeps clearing, I'm good with it).)  I'll give her a gift certificate to either Amazon or Barnes & Noble because I know she has both a Kindle and a Nook.

So, the runner up title in the contest is PLAYING WITH FIRE by Michelle Fidler.  I'll be popping that ARC of the book into the mail either today or tomorrow.

Whew.  Glad that's over with.  I might think twice before I do another contest.