Thursday, October 20, 2011

Like Jerry Seinfeld says, "it's got a taint!"

Scones & Tea bookMore than a month ago, I ordered a book from Hoffman Media called Scones & Tea.  Yes, it's by the people who put out Teatime and Victoria Magazines.  Now, I've ordered stuff from them before and never had to wait more than a couple of weeks to get it.  This one ... took 6 weeks.

When I opened the package, I noticed there was a bill inside and a note that said I had ordered via check and underpaid.  No, no, no.  I ordered right from their email and paid via my credit card.  Now, truth be told, I don't remember if the shipping was free or not, but since I've ordered from them before (and since) and there was never a shipping fee before, I assumed the shipping was included in the $19.99 price.

Nope.  Now they want $4.

I sent them a note telling them that I did NOT order by check and that I believed the shipping was free.  Guess what--it wasn't Hoffman media that answered my email.  It was some fulfillment house.  (Probably they're the ones who sat on my order for 6 weeks.)  Make no mistake, they want that four bucks, and there was no "Dear Customer," no apology for whatever misunderstanding that may have happened, no explanation, no nothing--just a statement that says I owe and I need to pay it ASAP.

This is NOT good customer service, and not what I expected from a company that prides itself on Southern hospitality.  First of all, they should have acknowledged that I didn't pay by check.  They should also have given me some explanation as to why when ordering by credit card the shipping was NOT included. They did neither. "PAY UP SISTER" was their message.

It's too bad I really enjoy these magazines, or I could just ignore them and never order another thing from them again.  But I still want to read those magazines.

I tried to call and was on hold so long that I was in danger of using up my cell phone minutes for the month.  (Which is why I ended up emailing.)  But I'm not happy about this situation.  Would I have paid an extra $4 for this book had I known the cost was $4 more? Maybe -- maybe not.  But having to pay extra after you've already received the book?  Not amusing.

SeinfeldAnd I haven't even opened the book.  Now, to quote Seinfield, "it's got a taint."

Have you ever had an experience like this before?  If so, what did you do?

3 comments:

  1. If it was me, I'd look up the ISBN on Amazon, to see if the book was available there. (Assuming I still wanted the book at all)
    Then, I'd call the company and get a return authorization (unless one is provided with the receipt/bill you got with the order), and return that copy of the book.
    Even if it's not available at Amazon, you can probably wait until it's available on sale.
    Then again, bad customer service makes me moody and not want the product. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said you tried to call & were put on hold, was that the fulfillment company or Hoffman Media? Personally, I'd look up the Hoffman Media, try to find the name of the president of the company & try to contact him/her directly. Let them know personally that you were badly treated. Or, if you can't find a phone number, write a letter to Hoffman media & cc to both editors of Teatime & Victoria magazines. Let 'em know (politely, of course! ::grim::) they've royally pissed off a loyal and valued customer. Can't hurt & might help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just did a bit of investigating:

    Hoffman Media, LLC
    1900 International Park Drive
    Suite 50
    Birmingham, AL 35243
    United States

    Founded in 1983

    Ms. Phyllis Hoffman Depiano
    Owner and President
    Ms. Phyllis Hoffman Depiano serves as President of Hoffman Media, LLC and its Owner. Ms. Depiano serves as the creative engine of Hoffman, producing an ever-widening range of beautiful magazines including TeaTime, Southern Lady, Just CrossStitch,Sew Beautiful, and Taste of the South magazines. She is recognized industry-wide as a savvy businesswoman and talented entrepreneur. She began her career as a Certified Public Accountant with a nationally known firm before founding a special-interest publication company in 1983. She is also a sought-after speaker across the country, a devoted wife and mother and a church and community leader. She is a graduate of the University of Alabama in Birmingham. (This info is from Bloomberg Business Week.) The company is not public.

    Since she's considered a savvy business-woman, if she is approached by another successful business woman (you!) your unhappiness might have more weight than just any old plain Jane Doe.
    The phone & fax number listed on the Bloomberg site is:
    Phone: 205-995-8860
    Fax: 205-991-0071
    they might be different than the number you used. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete