Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Well, I'll be Skyped!

SkypeA couple of months ago, a librarian asked me to talk to her library group about the Booktown Mysteries.  The only thing was, they were out of state.  What's a person to do?

Skype!

For several years, I've offered to talk to reader groups via Skype, and no one has taken me up on it.  I kind of forgot about it, so it was a bit of a shock when I got approached to talk to the group in February.  The day they were meeting, I was scheduled to be out of town.  I didn't want to take a chance on iffy Internet connections, so we rescheduled for this week.

This week is here.

I didn't have Skype, either.

I do now.  And thanks to my pals, Ellery Adams and Julie Hyzy, I tested it and had two very nice long-distance discussions, and I got to see my friends, who I haven't seen since last April.  Weeee!  This is fun!
Skype&computerNow the real test comes on Friday when I fire up my laptop and talk to that library group.  Gulp!  I'm off to go get beautiful!

Do you use Skype or a service like it?

5 comments:

  1. I use it on my phone so my kids can talk to my parents. While we live about 45 minutes away, we only see them once a month or so. It was fun for them and i look forward to skyping with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skype was a wonderful way to talk with my son while he was living in Morocco on a study abroad. Just don't look at your OWN picture while you're talking - it'll make you self-conscious. Well, that's what happened with me, anyway. It's a great tool, and the price is right. Have a great meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bet I use it -- was just on with my sis-in-law this afternoon. We're going to try to have a kind of group Skype tomorrow. Unfortunately, my hubby's aunt passed away (at age 96!) and the funeral is tomorrow. Well, we're on the east coast & they are in the Seattle area. There was no way we could attend, so at the family get-together after the funeral tomorrow, we're going to try to talk to the family then.

    Congrats on your use of Skype!!! (You'll do fine!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not use it, but I know what it is. My daughter talks to her aunt who lives in another state. And she talks to my nieces and nephews. They all think it is fun. I on the other hand do not even talk on the phone so using Skype would be pointless. Besides I have seen my face on that screen.... yuck! I would not put anyone through that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used Skype to talk with my husband when he was deployed and last year, author Sarah Prineas skyped with my 4th and 5th grade students during Children's Book Week. I'm planning another Skype visit for this year, too.

    ReplyDelete