Thursday, April 19, 2012

I only need a sweet little desk ... honest.

For the past three years, I've done the majority of my writing on my laptop on the dining room table.  It worked out well. Then it didn't.  So now I'm back to writing in my office, but ... the clutter is starting to get to me.

For the past ten or more years my computer desks (doesn't everyone have two?) have not been desks at all, but old farm tables.  One is lovely oak, the other is really shabby and not-so-chic.  (It was $8 at yard sale.)
A few weeks back, I visited my pal Ellery Adams (who writes  the Books By The Bay Mysteries, and soon the Charmed Pie Shoppe Mysteries, and she has an elegant antique desk.  No papers, pens, office supplies (hand cream, nail polish, candy, hand sanitizer, multiple pairs of reading glasses, Chapsticks in many flavors, paperclips, etc.) on her lovely desk.  And her office is immaculate, too.  Mine is full of junk.  But I'm working on it.  My comfy chair has actually been clear of stuff for more than a week!!!  I can actually sit in it once more to edit my work. (Real progress.)

But until I figure out what to do with all the junk on my work surface, the room is not going to get much tidier.

I need a desk.  A real one.  With drawers.  And I wouldn't mind if it was shabby chic. What do you think of this one?

French-provincial-gray-white-desk

Or how about this one?

Shabby-chic-desk Incredibly cute, huh?  I could put ALL the junk that's currently on my farm table into the drawers.  I could have a clean surface to work.  I might even be able to address an envelope without having to run to the dining room table or kitchen counter.  Oh, wouldn't that be heaven?

The problem?  Try finding something like this.  I've been on Craigslist and found mostly chipboard computer desks.  Been there, done that -- when I had no taste.  Now I want something girly and sweet.  And I don't want to spend a lot of money and I don't want to do it myself.  Boy, that kind of limits me, doesn't it?

What are you using for a home office desk?