Thursday, May 31, 2012

They aren't reading my books in Germany . . .

Before I was ever published, I joined a romance writers group.  Back then, I was in awe when my pals Paticia Ryan (who also writes historical mysteries under the name P.B . Ryan) and Kathryn Shay would bring in copies of their books that had been translated into different languages.

Deb's Japanese bookBack then?  I'm still in awe.  Many of my cozy mystery author friends have had their books translated in Japanese (off the top of my head I can name Leann Sweeney, J.B. Stanley, and Hannah Reed ... and I know there are many, MANY more.)  Lorna Barrett or Lorraine Bartlett?  Fuggetaboutit!

Okay, I admit it.  I'm jealous.  I want my books translated, too.  My agent says, "Be patient." She also tells me that other countries look for different things in their cozy mysteries--not booksellers.  I had hoped my Jeff Resnick would have sold to the German market, but I fear my lack of sales here has killed that dream.  : (

Recipes_To_Die_For.smSo I was thrilled this morning to check my sales for my print books and find that a copy of Recipes to Die For had sold somewhere in Europe and I was going to get paid for it!  It wasn't translated, and I don't even know what country it sold in, but it sold for Euros.


The truth is, I'm waiting for more and more countries to get on the ebook bandwagon.  It won't mean my books will get translated, but there are a lot of English-reading people out there.  Currently my books are available online in countries like France, Germany, Italy and Spain.  The sad thing is, how many people in those countries have e readers (Kindles in particular).  I know I sell quite a few stories in Australia (thank you, Apple), and sales for Kobo readers have picked up a tiny bit, but I'd love to find a much bigger--GLOBAL--audience for my work.

Any ideas on how I can spread the work about my books to foreign countries?