Monday, June 25, 2012

Is it time to get a new computer?

Thank goodness people live longer than computers.  I mean, even the Ocompa live longer than your average computer.

Dying computerTwo of my computers are living on borrowed time.  The one I use the most, my trusty e Machine, is 7 years old.  It has been a good friend, but is no longer reliable.  It freezes up, it has EATEN several of my manuscripts (which results in wailing, gnashing of teeth, and the air around me turning blue), as well as my mailing lists (several times).  Thank goodness for Drop Box, where I keep my backup files.

My Acer laptop and I have been wary friends for nearly 6 years.  There's something wrong with it.  The cursor jumps all around if I try to use its keyboard, so I've had to lug around an auxiliary keyboard for years.  (Finally got one that fits in my computer case.) And ... it's Vista.  (I hate that you can't see thumbnails of your pictures.)

Computer crashAfter this latest manuscript meal, I've decided it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new computer.  But I'm not sure what to get.  Do I really need a new laptop right now or should I just get another PC tower and hold off until the Acer starts coughing up blood? I don't know.  But no matter what I do, I've got to upgrade my ancient software. (Yup, I'm still running Word and Excel 2000.)

I'm really depressed about the whole situation.  I'm comfortable with both these computers.  I know how they work.  I know where all my files are.  I hate starting fresh and the whole learning curve and all that tommyrot.

I guess bottom line:  I HATE CHANGE.

Any helpful pieces of computer advice?