Thursday, July 19, 2012

What's on your summer TBR list?

I love cozy mysteries.  Next to decorating magazines, I probably read more cozy mysteries than anything else.  But sometimes I like a change of pace.

On mystic lakeFor instance, I'm a sucker for stories set on lakes, the ocean, or at cottages.  That's why I just finished reading Kristin Hannah's On Mystic Lake.  It wasn't exactly what I expected (I was hoping for more stuff on the lake to happen -- or maybe some DIY, I'm a sucker for that, too), and the ending wasn't quite as satisfying as I expected for a romance.  Maybe it's because I'm a writer, but I wanted to take a whack at rewriting that ending.  Still, overall I quite enjoyed it.  (At least four stars!)

Other "watery" books on my TBR list for the summer (since this is the best time of year to read them) Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews and Ann Rivers Siddons' Off Season.

ThresholdAnd then sometimes I just like to read something totally different.  Like Tales of Telenia: Threshold, written by a new voice in fantasy, Lee Barnett. It's kind of an adventure, space opera-fantasy, sf story all rolled in one, and lots of fun, with a bit of a cliffhanger ending.

When a spatial rift causes Amanda Shelton’s space shuttle to crash land on an unknown planet, she awakens to find herself locked in a cell with a tutor charged with teaching her an alien language. Crown Prince Paxdon is determined to scavenge not only her ship, but any technology he can squeeze from her brain to vanquish his enemies in a neighboring province. But just who is Amanda’s real adversary; the warriors in the north or the people of Telenia?

What's on your to-be-read list this summer?
.