Friday, April 4, 2014

Foodie Friday: Homemade 16 bean soup

Hot_Dawg-smallAs I've mentioned before, I'm trying to eat more "scratch" food, and one of my favorite foods is soup. I've been making 16 Bean Soup for a few years now, and I love it.  Here's the basic recipe (from the back of the Goya bean package):

Goya_Bean_Soup_Mix_16_ozjpgIngredients
6 cups water
1 lb. Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix
1 medium onion, chopped
 2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 packet Goya Ham Concentrate
1 bay leaf
 salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Soak and drain beans. In a large saucepan, combine beans and remaining ingredients with 6 cups water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender. The package says serves 8-10, but I usually get about 11 one cup servings out of it.

Number of Servings: 11

Blackbean soup in cockpot-medOf course, I have to do things differently. Who has time to stand over the stove to make sure the soup doesn't burn? I make mine in my crock pot (on high) and cook it for between 6-8 hours. Instead of the ham concentrate, I use smoked ham hocks or--even better--the ham bone after our Easter feast.  (That's the best!)

Of course, it does tend to resemble sludge when some of the beans break down, but I've found cutting it with chicken or vegetable broth not only stretches the soup, but makes it more palatable.

(This picture was taken just after I tossed everything in to cook.)

What's on your menu this week?
=======================

And the winner of the Foodie Friday mug is Melissa S. from Amsterdam, NY!

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Foodie friday MUG-smWant your own Foodie Friday mug?  You can get one here!