Monday, September 17, 2018

When you're thirsty, drink tea!

If you know anything about me, you know that I LOVE tea. I start every day with a cup (and usually drink an entire pot) and often have another cup or two in the afternoon.

I am a tea addict, and I'm not ashamed.

That said, I mostly drink English Breakfast (black) tea, and not much else. The fun part comes because I have a lot of teacups and tea mugs. Choosing one every day makes the day start with a lot more whimsy.

Not long ago, Mr. L and I visited the Buffalo area and visited the Millard Fillmore house. I was surprised at how many artifacs were available from our 13th pesident, a man who only served two years after the death of Zachary Taylor.

That's a cardboard cut-out of President Fillmore on the porch.

For such a small house, which Fillmore built with his own two hands, there were an astonishing amount of presidential artifacts.






The teapot above belonged to Fillmore's first wife, Abigail.  I wonder how many wonderful cups of tea she delighted in from that pretty pot.





This teacup belonged to the Fillmore family. It was probably used by the President. Think of the history!




The above tumbling-block quilt was made by the first Mrs. Fillmore. The stitching was exquiste. The bedframe was the bed they took to the white house and slept in for their two-year tenure.

The docents at the Fillmore house were fantastic and kept us spellbound with their tales about the last Whig-party president.

I went to visit the Buffalo area because I needed to reconnect with my character, Jeff Resnick, for an upcoming book, but I'm pretty sure he never visited the Fillmore home. Still, it never hurts to visit the rich history of any area you write about, and I'm sure glad I visited the Fillmore House.

This makes three presdential homes I've visited. The first was Mount Vernon, home of George Washington. The second was James Buchanan's home (Wheatland) in Lancaster, PA, and now Millard Fillmore's home.

Have you ever visited a home of a president?

No comments:

Post a Comment