Tuesday, January 27, 2009


A couple of years ago, I signed a birthday card for my niece. I wrote: Happy Birthday, Amanda! Love Aunt Lorraine and Uncle Frank. When she opened the card, she frowned and said, "What does this say? I can't read cursive." I was stunned to learn that they no longer teach children to write--my niece, now age 17, still prints like she did in grade school.

What are these children going to do when it comes time to open a checking account, buy a car, or sign a lease? It boggles my mind. Not only that, but will the fact that I use cursive date me?

Boy, do I use cursive. With a new book on the cusp of publication, I've been signings hundreds of bookmarks and postcards that are going out to readers, libraries, and bookstore. Sometimes I get hypnotized by writing the same thing over and over again and end up writing the wrong name. Or a combination of my names: L.L. Barrett and Lorna Bartlett. Like the title of this blog says, it's no wonder I'm Dazed and Confused.

And speaking about this blog ... I'm not sure what to do about it. It's apparent that my Lorna name is better known and will stay that way, so I'm considering moving Dazed and Confused to another URL. I've hired a web site designer to come up with a new banner. Do I change color schemes? Do I make it more girly? Decisions, Decisions.