Thursday, April 9, 2009

PET PEEVE THURSDAY--GENRE SNOBBERY

Today's guest is Clea Simon, author of the Theda Krakow and Dulcie Schwartz mystery series.
“Oh, well, I’m writing a real book.”

Wow. You know how someone can say something totally offhand, probably not even thinking about what she has said, and it can stick with you? Well the above sentence was one of those things, and that brings me to a pet peeve: People who think that fun-to-read books aren’t “real” books. 

The above is an actual quote, by the way. Tossed blithely out during an otherwise lovely day at the beach several summers ago by the girlfriend of a good friend. We all worked at the same newspaper, and she was writing a book about war atrocities. And I was working on a book about … women’s relationships with cats. Now, her book was (and is) very serious and important, a work that gave readers a sense of connection and understanding. A book that needed to be written and that many people read. But, you know what? Mine might not have been as weighty, but I like to think it gave its readers a sense of connection and understanding, that it touched some hearts. It was very different, but it was also a real book.

Now, if you’re here reading Lorna’s blog, you’re probably not one of those people. But you know who they are: They’re the ones who look at what you’re reading and sniff a little. “I only read biographies,” they may say. Or, “oh, what a cute cover.” As if that were a bad thing. As if genre fiction (for me, that means mysteries) is somehow not as valid, as other kinds of writing.
What these people don’t realize is that we, like all authors, choose our words with care. We spend time and thought on organizing them, on building up to various points, and on conveying various images, thoughts, ideas, and characters. We research and observe. And we write and rewrite and rewrite again, just like “serious” authors do. In addition, those of us who write entertaining books (and I bet romance writers go through this, too) have to work very hard at making it all seem light and frothy. We have to make the same efforts that authors of heavier books make, and yet we have to disguise that effort:

A line may take us hours maybe;
Yet if it seems more than a moment’s thought
Our stitching and unstitching is naught.


William Butler Yeats was talking about poetry, but he may as well have been talking about mysteries, or romances, or SF, or fantasy…

So, come on already, people! Give up the snobbery! Mysteries and their ilk are “real” books. And now I’ll get off my soapbox, and get back to work.
------------------------------------------------
Probable ClawsClea Simon is the author of the Theda Krakow and Dulcie Schwartz mystery series, as well as three nonfiction (“real”) books. On April 10th, her fourth Theda Krakow mystery, “Probable Claws,” will be published by Poisoned Pen, and in September, Severn House will debut her first Dulcie Schwartz mystery, “Shades of Grey.” “Shades of Grey” has cats AND ghosts AND a murder mystery, so she is expecting to take flak for it. You can read more at her web site or on her blog.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Clea! If it has covers, pages and words, it's a real book. And if those words interest, entertain and/or inform someone, then to them, it's a GOOD book! I've already made my feelings known about the "respect" given books with comedy as their goal, but I completely agree with you about the snobbery shown to all genre fiction, as well. Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, Clea, not ALL authors choose their words carefully, since your friend's girlfriend (have I got that right?) made the remark in the first place. You are right of course. Nobody should fault anybody for seriously writing anything, in my view. And anybody who thinks that writing "light" "amusing" or "cozy" fiction is easy ought to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write both mysteries and erotica. Neither is seen as 'real' writing. But you can take consolation in one thing -- you probably outsell the serious -- and usually depressing book a hundred to one. In fact the latest stats are that light, HEA books are outselling everything. But face it, humor and light don't get any respect in Hollywood either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, folks! Let's hear it for genre writing of all kinds! Jeff - I wrote this up in a fit of pique before reading your own take on this same idea, on snobbery about humorous mysteries. Man, you'd think everyone out there wants to walk around with a long face!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great points Clea!
    I would just like to add that this snobbery is felt by readers too. Many think that those that read cozies or similar "fun to read" books, aren't really reading anything important or worthwhile.

    Quite a shame really to think that all the work you authors put in is treated this way on both ends fo the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately consider the source when I hear comments like "writing a real book." I consider a "real book" to be anything that is enjoyed/appreciated by the reader. The girlfriend's comment sounds suspiciously like the beginning of emotional censorship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clea, My sister writes Romance and runs into the same thing. As an artist I experience this too. I'm trained in my craft, but choose to do what I loooove, whimsy. I often get that - can you do REAL art. Ehhhem - I am doing real art - you try it! I'm so with you there.
    Honestly, mysteries are my very favorite, romance, light cozy fictions - love them!! Thank you all for creating Real Books!!! Please know we real folks out there love what you do & consider you VERY real writers!!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank YOU all for standing with me on this! I know it's silly to be bothered by it, but sometimes it gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read your new book and LOVED it, Clea!
    I just went to a small writer's conference here in North Carolina and it was amazing how many writers of various genres consider THEIR writing to be serious but not other writers'stuff. Romance writers feel like they are discriminated against so the belittle mystery writers. The poor readers (who seem not to care about genre) were caught in the middle. Too bad we can't just play nice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, spent last weekend at a writers' conference and suffered a few 'well, you're (sniff) genre' comments. (I write thrillers.) And I smile and nod and think to myself, "Yeah, I may be genre, but you know what? I'm freakin' published."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clea, I couldn't agree with you more. Here's the thing with genre snobbery. The high-brow writers are rarely won over by a debate or discussion. I feel a bit sorry for them actually. Why don't they just lighten up???
    Maggie
    long live cozies!

    ReplyDelete