Monday, September 21, 2009

WHO THREW THE SWITCH?

Holy Crap!  It's fall!

I mean, I waited a-l-l winter for spring, which came and went, and then it was summer.  Ahhh...summer.  The roses bloom.  You plant cosmos (which always disappoint me) and other annuals, plus the veggie crop (we've had green beans for dinner almost every night for at least four weeks) and now the counter is overflowing with tomatoes.


But sitting out on the enclosed porch in the evening is getting to be a tad uncomfortable.  Instead of wearing T-shirts, it's suddenly sweatshirt weather.  (And my big blue sweater has come back out of the closet.  Heck, I'm wearing it as I type this!)  I've also taken to (gasp) wearing my slippers, because my feet are cold.

The catnip is starting to shrivel up.  (Chester doesn't mind.  He prefers dried to fresh catnip.)  The perky black-eyed Susans aren't so perky anymore.  In fact, they're turning a disgusting brown.  The arborvitae is turning orange--its version of "needle cast," as it gets ready to toss it's old leaves (?) onto the pool cover.


And today the calendar confirmed it:  the first day of fall.  Next thing you know, the leaves will fall off the trees en mass.  We'll be raking until our hands flap with blisters.  It'll rain five days out of seven.

Snow can't be far behind.

Bummer.



4 comments:

  1. The fact that is happened so soon is a shock to the system. I had to get the comforter out last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But think of the positives, like beautifully hued leaves, pumpkins and apple cider!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pumpkin and apple cider I like. The last week here was quite cool. Today, however, we have a High-pressure system coming up from California and it will reach 90 for several days. I have been wearing socks and warmies, cuddling under a blanket in the evenings, windows closed for several days. Today the air conditioner will go. Yuck! A 20 degree jump in less than twelve hours. In the Midwest we'd call that a reason for a hefty storm. In the Pacific Northwest, we just blame everything on California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe, you made me giggle. We've been eating green beans and mashed potatoes and cabbage and stir fry (broccoli, squash, zucchini, onions), and all of it's from our garden. Tonight, I'm making enchiladas with homemade salsa (homegrown tomatoes, which we just ran out of the other day, but we had scads). Sounds like you're enjoying your garden as much as we are -- what a rewarding endeavor!

    It's getting cooler here, too. But that's fine with me -- I'm a fall person. :)

    ReplyDelete