Thursday, November 19, 2009

PET PEEVE THURSDAY: "Can I Get It From The Library?"

by guest blogger Kate Flora

Pet peeves--you want pet peeves? How about people you've known for years who still begin conversations with, "How's the book doing? I haven't read you, but...." Or who ask about your books and then say, "Can I get them at the library?"

I learned, when people ask that to say, "You can get it at the bookstore." And I learned (I hesitate to share this, but it is important) to end my library and bookstore talks with the following:

I've been in this business since 1994, and over the years, I have seen a lot of really good writers get dropped by their publishers and disappear, so their books can no longer be read. A lot of readers don't realize that the way we survive is by our book sales. Our publishers may like it that we're good writers and good speakers, but for them, it's the bottom line that counts: If we don't sell books, we don't continue to get published.

If I'm in a library, I will often say...I know we're in a library and you can read the book for free, but if you don't support the less well-known authors, your own choices get more limited.

In a bookstore, I often point out that the bookstore is going out of their way to support this event for their readers, and that they, too, survive on their book sales.

Occasionally I'll get a question that makes me go the whole nine yards, and explain that our publishers expect us to do all the marketing, event arranging, publicity, write our own newsletters, print our own postcards, etc. Readers are often shocked by this.

A paperback costs no more than a few cups of Starbucks coffee. A hardback a little more, but it gives many more hours of pleasure. When you're done, you can share it with a friend or give it to your library. So please, seriously consider buying a book. If you don't buy mine, please give your support to some other author. And help keep us published.

Basket1 Once readers understand how critical book sales are, some of them really go the whole nine yards themselves. Kind readers have made my books, especially the anthologies, hostess gifts or holiday gifts, or sponsored my books at their libraries by buying and donating a copy. These are such painless ways to support an author. And how about this? An apple pie or apple cake and a copy of one of Sheila Connolly's Apple Orchard mysteries? A small, bow-tied packet of Lorna Barrett's Bookstown Mysteries in a basket with cookies and good cocoa? Wed your creativity to ours, and everyone wins.
So what's bugging you today?
----------------------------------
Stalkingdeath Kate Flora is not only a terrific author, but she's also co-editor of the new anthology, Quarry, stories of crime in New England from Level Best Books. Don't miss Kate's 7th Thea Kozak novel, Stalking Death, soon to be available in soft cover.

4 comments:

  1. All very good points and ones that can't be stressed too much. I didn't know any of this until a few years ago in conversation at an online reading group. I was dumbfounded. I love the idea of the baskets and I try to give books on all holidays. I keep lists of who I've given what....most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You. Thank You! I, too, have explained this to readers. I am one of those writers teetering on the edge right now. This is my dream and even with 10 books out, it's hard to get the bills paid, take care of the family and work a second job. I won't give up on my writing, but we really do need reader support--without it, many of us wind up having to or being forced to give up.

    Thanks for the support!

    Cheers,
    Michele Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that on an author's blog and since then I try to buy as many books as my funds can support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, of course. But having your book in the library for people to read for free is a wonderful advertisement. Plus, it's a sale -- since the library paid for it.

    Like most people in the world, I have to choose carefully where to put my limited book buying funds. I can't buy books on spec. But at the library, I can check out all those midlist titles and new authors without fear. And if I liked the book, then I can buy it and add the author to my 'automatically pick up' list. If the book is popular at the library, then the librarians will know to continue to purchase the author's titles, and to replace them when they wear out.

    I would never have found Booktown if it hadn't been on the shelf of our library.

    ReplyDelete