Monday, December 7, 2009

My WIP

Today I'm going to start the new book. I know, I know--I just handed a "new" book in last Tuesday, and I did edits on the previous "new" book, too. (Okay, haven't handed them in yet, but my editor is out of the office until Wednesday. It'll get there.)

Actually, on Friday, I didn't have a clue what the new book would be about. Okay, I did pitch a one paragraph load of hogwash over a year ago, thinking I'd come up with something--but maybe might have a better idea in the meantime.

Mind you, it wasn't really hogwash. It's just that I pitched something off the top of my head figuring if I couldn't come up with anything different, I'd make this work. Then I read the pitch about a month ago and started to panic. I thought over and over again about the figment-of-my-imagination idea and how nothing was happening in the idea-generation portion of my brain that would expand that 150-word paragraph into an 80,000 word book.

I had a BIG day Saturday, and I'd forgotten to set the alarm, so I laid awake in bed (because it was warm there and the rest of the house wasn't) and decided to think about the story so I wouldn't fall back asleep. Maybe I'd come up with that "better" idea. But I didn't. I started thinking about the setting where the murder would take place. I started thinking about the weather, the time of day, and who would be nearby. After about ten minutes, I decided I'd better head to the COLD, DRAFTY office and start putting these ideas into the computer before I lost them.

I didn't write a lot. Not even a page. But it was enough to get me going. I've had the story on the back burner all weekend, and I feel like I'm ready to make a first stab at Chapter 1. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. (Which isn't how I usually approach a new book. Usually I go into total procrastination mode.)

Now all I need is 80,000 words and a really good title. (And I'll bet coming up with the title will be harder than coming up with the storyline.) I may end up having a contest to come up with the title, and if I do--I'll let you know.

4 comments:

  1. You go girl! Glad to hear the incubation period (albeit long) has finally gotten to the manifestation stage. Looking forward to your newest! I'm sure you'll come up with a good title, you've certainly done it before. (Love the Booktown titles.) MUCH better than the 'working' title for Wilderness. :GRIN:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, and the rest of your millions of readers, like the idea of a contest for the title. I have enjoyed your books so much and look forward to more so get back to work and quit reading comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm ALMOST halfway to my goal for the day, and it isn't even lunchtime yet! (Did you say MILLIONS of readers??? Do you know something my editor isn't telling me?

    ReplyDelete