Wednesday, January 6, 2010

But I left off the butter ...

Okay, we're into Day Three of the "Would Hank Phillippi Ryan Eat This" campaign.  The first day was great...until I went to Sam's Club.

See, I needed a new toner cartridge.  Before the holidays, you could graze through Sam's and get your fat calories for the week--and in only one session.  But now, fugettaboutit.  (Although they did have one sample:  Angel food cake with a black berry.  Not fattening, and quite tasty, but a teeny weenie portion.)

Since we were in the "goodies" section anyway, we passed by the croissants.  Yum!  I love 'em. (Doesn't everybody?)  They had baby croissants and the JUMBO ones, too.  I recently bought four jumbo croissants at the grocery store.  The check-out girl forgot to ring them up, and, being the honest person my parents brought me up to be, I went to the Service Counter to rectify the situation.  I was thanked profusely for my honestly, and as I had no cash, bellied up to the credit card machine, thinking I'd be embarrassed at such a paltry sum, and was shocked to find out those croissants were $1.25 -- EACH!

Whoa.

It just so happens that hubby has one of those digital watches with a calculator in it.  He whipped out his arm and did some calculations and found that the jumbo croissants at Sam's were a mere 45 cents each.  Well, you just KNEW they were going into our cart, right?

So there I was at breakfast yesterday, looking at the lovely dozen and thinking to myself:  Would Hank eat this croissant?  Of course, she'd be thinking, "Would Jackie O eat his croissant?"  And of course the answer would have to be YES!  I mean, wasn't Jackie O part French?  (Her maiden name was Bouvier, she wore Paris gowns, and spoke French--certainly croissants HAD to be at the top of her "things I will eat" menu.  Of course, she would have chosen a small croissant--as I'm sure Hank would--not the jumbo kind.  But I digress...)

I thought I did well.  I only ate one (jumbo) croissant.  No butter.  Just a very thin layer of raspberry jam.

It was de-lish.  And, honestly, don't you think I HAD to eat it?

What would you have done?

9 comments:

  1. of course you had to have that croissant. Me, I would swirl honey on top of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...we've got eight left, and a new jar of honey. Guess I know what's on the breakfast menu tomorrow. Thanks, Dru!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some numbers for plain crossaints
    (calories, gm fat):

    - Dunkin' Donuts: 310, 16
    - Starbuck's: 370, 21
    - Panera Bread: 290, 17
    - Au Bon Pain: 300, 17
    - Albertson's: 200, 10
    - Wegmans: 290, 15
    - Atlanta Bread: 330, 17

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! 6 WW points! I'd better go back to oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course she would have eaten it! But one croissant, calorie-wise, is like eating three medium apples. (Not talking about fat and sugar right now.)

    But it's all about balance.

    Have a croissant, sure, delicious with jam! Yummy. But cut back on whatever else you would have eaten the rest of the day.

    DO NOT have 2 crosisants in one day, that you must promise me. The second one will not be even close to as delicious as the first. ANd you'll regret it. ANd then you will give up on the while diet thing, and voila, problems. Not good.

    The key is--you can have something wonderful. Of course! Just don't have the next bad thing.

    And you are SO funny.

    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don´t deprive yourself when on a diet, otherwise you will binge when on a downer, so one croissant for breakfast should be ok. I think that is why Weightwatchers have puddings, I haven´t got a sweet tooth and would much rather have cheese and biscuits much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do love the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorraine, I had a similar problem at lunch today. There were exactly two of the biscotti our friends sent from Italy in the bag. I figured Jackie and Hank would each eat them. Was I wrong?

    Hank, I don't have to worry about eating any more of them, because they're all gone now. (almond flavored, in case you're wondering)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorraine, I'd have smeared that gorgeous croissant with butter and enjoyed the fat high! Might as well go all the way...

    ReplyDelete