Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy National Pie Day!

Did you know today is National Pie Day?  Even more shocking, did you know there's a National Pie Council?

I didn't either, until I read about it in yesterday's USA Today.  Seems like it's a big deal, too, with pie championships, recipes, happenings, festivals, and even pie seminars.

Who knew there was a wonderful world of pie-dom out there?

The truth is ... I'm not a big pie eater.  One thing I learned from one of the many diets I've been on -- if you don't like something, don't eat it.  Therefore, it's quite easy for me to turn down pie.  Most pies.  Every once in a while I like a slice of lemon meringue pie.  At Thanksgiving, I'll eat a slice of mince pie.  Once in a blue moon, I'll have a slice of apple or maybe pecan pie, but that's as far as I go for dessert pies.  I'm a cake girl.

 Still, I wouldn't say no to a meat pie.  (And no one on earth makes a better meat pie than my Aunt Sunny.)  I love the meat pies you get in British pubs.  (Yum-yum.) Although I've never been able to work up the courage to eat a steak and kidney pie.  (Kidneys process urine.  Enough said.)  I've got several pot pie cookbooks.  Maybe I'll make a pot pie for supper to celebrate the day.

Do you like pie, and if so, what's your favorite slice?

6 comments:

  1. I do not like pie, but give me cake and cookies, that I won't turn down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE pie - although I must confess that I have yet to master the perfect pie crust.

    My favorites? Too many to mention! Apple pie, cherry pie, coconut, pecan, pumpkin.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pie and don't you love it when you go into a place and they have rotating pies in a glass case? Pumpkin with real whipped cream. That's my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pie, and I love making pie ... especially apple pie.

    Molly - I have found, I think, the absolute perfect pie crust recipe. I think if you google "Cooks Illustrated Vodka Pie Crust Recipe" you'll find it ... the nice folks in America's Test Kitchen point out that we use minimal water in pie crust so as not to activate the gluten, but then the dough is difficult to work with. The solution? Vodka! Which is wet, but doesn't activate gluten. So the crust is tender, flaky, and easy to work with.

    Honest, I've actually baked rounds of the leftover dough, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and eaten like a cookie. It's that good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad loved pie. Nearly ANY pie, but especially ... CHOCOLATE. He once threw a waitress for a loop when he ordered -- with a straight face -- a "Chocolate pie sandwich." Once she got the joke, she laughed, but I think for one, shining moment, he almost got his slice of chocolate pie topped by another piece of chocolate pie .... ::grin::

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberry rhubard pie...my mother makes the best! When my birthday comes around, I don't ask for a cake because I want her to make me a pie.

    ReplyDelete