Friday, January 29, 2010

Retailers discover startling fact: not all women are size 6 or smaller!

Last week in the USA Today's Money Section, they featured an article about plus-size women's clothing.  It seems retailers have JUST DISCOVERED that plus-size woman want to buy clothes that, get this, ACTUALLY FIT and might even be somewhat stylish! 

Talk about a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment.  Here fashion designers and retailers have been trying to lure skinny Minnie's into buying clothes when most of the country is --- SURPRISE -- overweight.  In this time of recession, when nobody is buying much of anything, retailers have decided they might as well try to sell clothes to overweight people.

Then there's something that's just as annoying to me as a consumer.  I'm sure you've all seen this Lee Rider Jeans ad in various magazines.  Why does a woman without an ounce of fat in her body need tummy control jeans?  And there's the equally skinny designer looking smug.  Wow--that's something to be proud of.  Making some skinny broad look -- well, the same.  Come on, Stacy London, why don't you design something that will make, say, the size 12-18 crowd look halfway decent?

All I can say is:  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

How about you?
===========
UPDATE: I've been contacted by Lee Jeans.  They offered to send me (and of course I accepted) a pair of the tummy-tuckers.  I'll let you know when they arrive and how they fit.

9 comments:

  1. I try not to look at advertising flyers. Pure fiction. Oh. That's what I write. Maybe I should be paying closer attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I love the update. Wonder how you blipped their radar. I agree with everything you say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to love Google Alerts. Can't wait to hear your report on the jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! Good for you.

    Irk isn't the word that describes how I feel about the skinny models showing off plus size jeans/sweaters/dresses/etc. Considering the AVERAGE size of American women is 14, it annoys the he** out of me to see an extra-large size listed that turns out to be a size 18! C'mon! Get real. Another gripe is for plus-size tops to be only 24 inches in length. Arrgh. Even if I WEREN'T 5'9" and (cough-cough) "big boned," a 24" length top would hit me about mid-abdomen. That might look moderately OK on a Brittany Spears (after her last rehab) type, but NOT on this "big-boned" woman of later middle years. Make the darned tops 30" long so there's a bit of material that goes lower than our waists so we don't look cut in half! Maybe this is why the last piece of clothing I bought was last summer. At Wal-Mart. A hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! What about those shirts that all look like maternity tops? You wouldn't catch me in them.

    I'm not as tall as you, Laurie, but I have long legs. Try buying jeans like that off the rack. (You probably have!) For the past ten years or so, I've bought all my jeans out of the Penney's catalog. It's the only way to insure I'd have any jeans at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is great about them offering you a pair of jeans. Let us know how they fit.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I like it when a company responds to consumer concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Looking forward to your follow-up post after those jeans arrive. (And now I'm off to upload a blog post about an ad for Mercedes-Benz, I could really use a new ride.)

    ~ Cleo

    ReplyDelete
  9. 24 inch shirts? Where? Sorry, I hate long shirts, they make you look pregnant. I'm always looking for shorter, but I wouldn't step into a WalMart with your legs.
    Oh well.
    But Jeans, I agree the ads stink, however you should know that children are refusing to wear them. Why? Because they are old men and old women clothes. Yuck.
    So says my grandkids and their sibs who don't own any.

    Patg

    ReplyDelete