Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where Have All My Classmates Gone?

For months now, I've been bombarded with messages from an Internet site telling me that former classmates are just dying to get in touch with me.  And for a low, low price of only $9.99 they will reveal just who it is that wants to contact me.

I almost fell for it before a friend told me she'd fallen for it.  And then she found it extremely difficult to get out from under them and stop them billing her credit card.  Another acquaintance said she'd gotten a computer virus trying to download a message from a classmate.

Smart move not to get tucked up with that lot.

And just why DO I want to get in contact with these old school chums.  The people who looked at me and rolled their eyes.  Yes, I was a geek, who walked around reading and writing Star Trek stories (even though the show had been canceled before I entered high school.  Ha!  Little did they know the franchise would be resurrected and live a long and happy life in syndication and on the big screen.  But I digress).

I had hair down to my backside that I usually wore in braids or a ponytail.  I dressed in sweatshirts, jeans, and baggy wool (Pendleton) shirts (Hey, I was cold!), love beads and sneakers.  I was no fashion plate.  I spent most of my spare time in the library reading biographies.  (They had four of Edgar Allen Poe--is it any surprise I became a mystery author?)

In all these years, I never went to a class reunion.  I never was invited, so I never knew when they were.  So why this burning desire to suddenly get in contact with people who had no time for me back in the day?
Tshirt_style2 I met one of my classmates at a signing just before Christmas. She remembered me.  She bought two of my books.  She was very nice.  I don't suppose we exchanged more than a few sentences in the four years we were at Greece Olympia High School, but it was such a pleasant encounter, I suddenly wondered if more of my classmates had mellowed with age and might be more accepting of the geeky girl.

High school was not a fun time--at least for me.  I'd like to think that we all came away and became better people with happier lives.  It would be nice to know if that were true.

Have you kept up with your high school classmates?

8 comments:

  1. Sad to say, but no I have not kept up with any of my high school classmates, nor have I been invited to a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, nor has anyone tried to friend me on Facebook...although I do get invites to the class reunions...I went to the 5 year one but didn't bother after that. I went to Eisenhower HS in Blue Island, a Chicago suburb, so the reunion cost was always a bit more than I wanted to pay, considering I'd also have to spring for a hotel room for the weekend. I was a journalism/choral geek...and invisible unless one of the 'in' crowd needed something in the paper or wanted a favor. My high school years were fun, but the people I'd go back to see just don't go to the reunions either :o)
    Oh...and that classmates website? Not worth the dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That classmates site is the one I was warned against joining. I have a free account, but they won't let you see what someone has posted on your page unless you pay. I don't my messages being held hostage and have decided to just forget the whole thing. Why don't these people join Facebook for free to try to find their classmates???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least I get invites to my HS reunion. I went to my (OMG!) thirtieth reunion. It was OK, I got to see a lot of my old acquaintances -- after all, some of them and I shared 12 years of school! I think one of the reasons I got the invite was my cousin (also in my class) was in the "In" crowd & made sure I wasn't forgotten. Kinda glad I went as several of those classmates have since passed away. (Terrible thought 'cause we are WAY too young, and then I start counting the years since graduation and get depressed.) Anyway, I even got an invite to the last reunion and I won't go into how many years reunion THAT was! Suffice it to say, I'm looking into a rubber tip for my cane. ::LOL::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only do I live in the same town where I went to high school, but I now literally live around the corner from the school. In all the years since graduation, I have only run into THREE classmates, and we had a class of over 200 seniors! They can't all have moved out of state. Oh wait! This is New York--land of taxes. Maybe they did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had the desire to keep up with many of my former classmates. Not many have bothered to keep up with me, so I don't bother. I tried keeping up with my closest friends in our first few years of college, but I assume they were all too busy. A few have found me on Facebook, that is about the extent of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happened to me several years ago for my 10th high school reunion. I was living in Arkansas at the time, and thought eh, why bother?! But then suddenly the prospect of seeing these people, most of who I really didn't like all that much in school, intrigued me for no reason. Well, there is a reason... I wanted to see what they look like now. And, I was very proud of myself and accomplishments and had nothing to be ashamed of. So I went. And everyone had mellowed A LOT! It was a great time and I would go again, maybe, if I was in town. :o) I occasionally run into people when I'm home visiting family, but rarely these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to every hs reunion we have had. I have always had a good time. People mellow so much after 25, 30, yeeks, 35 years. Out of my gradutating class of 470+, only one person has acted like he didn't want to see me. His wife didn't get it until I told her it just might be "shame" for treating me so bad in 8th grade. I told her if that was the case, he could rest easy...I held no grudge. She said not to worry about it...he could be a jerk at times. We had a great time laughing at that one.

    I wasn't one of the most popular, nor was I an outcast. Just middle of the pack, but I had a great time with my friends. It was great to see everybody after all that time. Even though we live in the same town, we just don't run into each other.

    Pam aka SisterZip

    ReplyDelete