Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hey, Stand Still So I Can Take Your Picture!

A man's home is his castle--his kingdom.  But what about the Queen, doesn't she have the same rights?  So, if a wild animal comes into my yard, shouldn't I have the right to photograph it?

A couple of weeks ago, I looked out my office window and saw three FULL-SIZED DEER standing in my next-door neighbor's yard.  Mind you, I've lived here 17 years and never saw one deer, let alone three, in anyone's yard.  (Okay, I lied.  I just remembered I saw a deer across the road about ten years ago.  But it wasn't in a yard, it was standing in the road and ran away when it saw my car.)

I quick--grabbed my camera and tippy-toed outside, but the deer saw me and ran away.  I was madly pressing the shutter, but all I got was several pictures of deer butts in rapid retreat.

Bummer.

Yesterday, I was working on the new book, sitting at the dining room table with my laptop, and the window open.  I heard a rustling and saw a wild turkey walking through the back of my garden.  Woo-hoo!  I called for hubby, who grabbed his new camera, and out we went.  Hubby wouldn't go out in the field behind the house, but I did.  And then Mr. (or perhaps Mrs.) Turkey took off, and flew away.

Rats!  Another missed opportunity.  (Of course you realize the pictures in this post came from Google images--NOT my camera.)

Okay, they're wild animals, but I live in the suburbs, and if they're coming in contact with my yard (or my neighbors), I think I should be able to photograph them.  Now to convince them.

And what's bugging YOU today?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you get to see nature's beauty in their natural habitat in your vicinity. Perhaps they'll stay a moment a let you take their picture.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lat year, about this time, I looked out my bedroom window (back of the house) and what I thought was one of the neighbors dogs was indeed a small doe, she looked like she was going to walk right up the steps to our deck, I watched her for about 5 minutes, she was just eating grass, and then our 2 dogs (border collie/blue heeler mixes) came running and barking from else where in the house, first she froze and then gracefully ran away. No camera for me either. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT'S why I have one camera downstairs & one camera upstairs ... for those "just in case" moments. Alas, no deer (in the middle of our town along the corridor to NYC???) in our backyard. Of course my neighbor 3 doors down said he had a small buck sleeping under one of his bushes a couple of winters ago & someone else took a picture of a red-tailed hawk at the end of our street. *sigh* All I've seen so far has been some red-headed woodpeckers, the squirrel that lives in the tree about 20 feet from me, and Canadian geese that fly overhead. Still ... ya never know! Good luck with your wildlife. Maybe next time if you ask politely, they'll stay long enough for you to get them in focus. (Yeah. And politicians will keep their promises. ::grin::)

    ReplyDelete