Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It seems to taste better when . . .

Geranium tea cup I'm a tea drinker.  There.  I've said it.
Most days I drink my tea out of mugs.  It's just easier that way.  But sometimes I want to drink it out of a dainty cup.  So I collect bone china tea cups.  I've paid as much as $24 for a tea cup -- but that was when I had a regular day job.  Those days are gone.  So now I look for bargains.

This little beauty (called "Geranium") was just such a bargain.  I got it at a yard sale for a dollar.  Why?  A tiny hairline crack in the cup.  I really, REALLY had to look at it a couple of times before I saw it.  But will that distract from the pleasure of a nice cuppa?  I think not.

Cheap mug On the same day, I came across this coffee mug. I love clunky old restaurant china and have many pieces.  This, alas, is not old, but it was only a dime.  If nothing else, it'll make a nice place to put pens and pencils.

Or I could just put it in the daily mug rotation.

What's your favorite cup/mug for tea (or coffee or cocoa)?

7 comments:

  1. Nothing like the feeling of a china cup for tea, eh Lorna. I'm with you on that one. Beats the heck out of styrofoam or cardboard cups any day.

    I like a using a huge mug for my coffee in the morning. Good way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm collecting mugs from National Parks. My favorite is the one from Yellowstone I got on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your china cup, and your coffee mug (have one just like that, myself)!

    My favorite cup used to be a blue and white floral cocoa cup, but it unfortunately broke this winter :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a heavy solid photo mug that I love sipping my hot chocolate from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is my solway style mug. It has a teal speckled glaze. It's pretty, but the real reason that it's my favorite is that it's thick. Not too heavy, but thick enough that the hot coffee won't burn my hands. It's great on rainy autumn afternoons, because it doubles as a hand warmer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a tea drinker too. After reading Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mysteries I taught myself how to buy and brew good coffee, but it's just not tea. I'm even a loose (leaf) woman, and the best-quality ones I can find! I'm with you; I think it tastes better from a teacup, and I have a couple of dozen that I've collected over the years from yard sales, etc. I take turns with them, but in the mornings, I drink my tea from a mug made by a good friend who's a potter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite the lovely piece. I collect tea cups as well, finding most at garage sales. I have a friend who reminds me they need dusting. Perhaps I should just use them more often.

    ReplyDelete