Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ugh -- pass me a towel

I love summer.  I love to be outdoors in the garden.  I love the sunshine, the warm breezes.  The hummingbirds.  I love seeing the windsocks dance in the wind.

But I don't like humidity.  At.  All.

Humidity ruins an other lovely summer day.  Even when it's only 72 degrees out, if the humidity is high, the day is ruined.  (Hey, I once visited San Antonio, Texas and it was 98 degrees out with 98% humidity.  I'm surprised the suicide rate there isn't off the charts.)

This morning it's a lovely summer day.  There's a little tinge of pink along the clouds on the horizon.  The blue sky is nearly the color of my agent's eyes.  (She has the most gorgeous blue eyes like I've never seen before.)  And what's ruining it?  80% humidity.  Okay, I do happen to be "on the water" this morning, and you expect the humidity to be higher than in "the city."  But does it have to ruin my lovely writing retreat?

Back home, there's central air conditioning.  That's another thing I hate about humidity.  It drives me into the house and into what feels like canned air.  The temp might only be 72, but it feels like -22 and I end up wearing sweaters and sweatpants to keep the chill off.  (Don't tell me to turn up the temp -- I share the house with someone who likes it that way.  And I'm not the only one with this complaint.  I mentioned it on Facebook last week and a lot of ladies are living with the same situation.)

So, go away humidity.  Now.  Not tomorrow.  NOW!

And what's bugging YOU today?

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I love summer but that humidity is a killer. It zaps my energy reducing me to a limp dishrag.

    And then winter is so dry, my skin feels like it's going to crack and fall off.

    From one extreme to the other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. The humidity leaves Dave and I both feeling like limp dishrags. Besides, I have COPD and I can't breathe as well when it's humid. I'm accomplishing just about zero these days, but tomorrow the humidity is supposed to be much lower! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Austin, Texas and the humidity is a killer sometimes. Especially last summer, when we had over 90 days of 100 degree heat, plus 100% humidity. But, believe it or not, you can get used to it. We just do a lot of running from the house to the car to the stores. And heaven help us if the store has no A/C! We also drink a lot and that tends to help as well ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on humidity. I hate it, espeically when you add Hot and Hazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. H'mm ... consensus seems to be overwhelming on heat a somewhat reluctant OK while we all hate humidity. I'm fine with that. Although I have to disagree about a 72 degree house via AC. I LOVE it!! I'm usually the one turning down the heat in our house (in the winter) and absolutely hate trying to sleep in 70+ degrees (again in the winter). Much prefer 65 or cooler. (Not too keen if over 70 in the summer, either, but a nearby fan helps a lot.) When we visited Las Vegas a few years ago, I didn't mind the 98 degree heat because the humidity was almost nonexistent. If only, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The humidity too. We live in South Ga below Savannah but not as close to the Ocean.So we don't have the ocean breeze We are a short drive away from the beach which we take advantage of all the time.

    It has been around 95 with 95% humidity so it ruins going out and playing. It feels like 110-125!! Then the crazy GA weather. We usually have a storm around five pm. Dinner time. So sometimes I have to wait for the lightning to pass where i can cook. That can get annoying because I love to watch the storms out the window.

    ReplyDelete