Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Raking in the dough?

I've spent far too much of the last day looking for ways to promote my e books. 

All we keep hearing is that ebooks are exploding, and instead of people reading less, because of Kindle/Nook, etc., people are reading more.  The hard part is getting people to find one's books.

In a bookstore, you can peruse the shelves.  Like that cover?  Intrigued by that back cover blurb?  Buy the book.  But how do readers find books on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com?

That's got my knickers in a twist.

You might be asking yourself "Why does she care?  Isn't she raking in the dough from her New York Times Bestselling Booktown Mystery series?"

How do I know?  I only get paid twice a year.  That's six months between checks.  But somehow the dentist has to be paid RIGHT NOW.  (It used to be you could pay on time...not any more!)  Oops--the brakes went bad on my car.  I can stall for a month until the VISA bill comes in.  Holy smoke!  The quarterly health care bill is due on September 1st!  (Ain't no employer contributing to that bill for Hubby and me -- and it's a killer.)

Authors need a steady cash flow just like the rest of society. But, we aren't paid on a weekly, biweekly or even monthly basis.  Amazon does pay on a monthly basis -- albeit 60 days after the end of the month the sales occurred.

I, and many other authors, need to find steady cash flow just so we can live and write.

So, any ideas on how to promote my e book backlist?  (And in case you're wondering what my backlist, you can find it here.)

7 comments:

  1. Your ebooks are reasonably priced and that drew me to your first bookstore book which I read on my nook. I plan to get the second one soon. A turn off for me is when the cover art is missing although I have gotten some books without it. I think a good price on your backlisted books would entice people to give them a try. When people see a good price they will post the book on the eboards and spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find most books and authors that are new to me via Amazon's recommendations. I think tagging helps too the recommendations too - make sure you books have at least 15-30 tags. Mystery; cozy; amateur sleuth; funny; Lorna Barrett; Lorraine Bartlett ... etc. ALWAYS make sure any books are tagged with your other nom de plumes so I can find your other works even if I don't know they're written by you. Also make sure that your other author names are in the synopsis you supply for Amazon or B&N.

    I've often found out much later that series I LOVE are actually written by the same person with vastly different author names (I am looking at you Cleo Coyle/Alice Kimberly) - if the synopsis tells me it's you I am much more likely to go looking for another series especially if it's in the same genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Amazon recommendations, but have only learned this week that the PUBLISHERS PAY FOR THEM. (I asked my editor because I got a lovely one with all the Lorna books linked with all the Cleo Coyle books.) But for an author who has put up her backlist, that's not available to me (at least I haven't heard it is, and if it was, would probably cost too much to do).

    All my books have tags, but getting people to tag and/or write reviews is tough. I can ask -- but mostly that falls on deaf ears. (Eyeballs? I do most of my asking online.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning, Lorna!

    For starters, I just got your fabulous postcard in the mail! Well done!!!

    Also, I found you thru your Cozy Chicks grog...and grogs are where I find a ton of my new auto-buy authors.

    Ohhh...and I also found your blog post today...so your Facebook efforts are clearly paying-off too!!!

    The best part about the new e-book world, and I know 'cause I'm an agented, debut romantic comedy Kindle and Smashwords author myself, is precisely the toughest part too. And that is that our market is just finding its legs. The brick & mortar stores, however, are crumbling. So we've got nowhere to go but up, Baby!!!

    Viral marketing via online homes is a slow process but its also one that has a permanent shelf-life. Another plus brick & mortar stores can't compete with.

    Enjoy the ride!!!

    Cheers To E-Book Bliss --- D. D. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorna, I think the ones that publishers pay for are the email ones. The ones I am talking about are the ones on your own Amazon page (you must be signed it). I get recommendations all the time for self-published books there so I know it's not a for fee service. The ones on the websites themselves are based on purchases and wishlist items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, Lorna, I'm an e-book holdout. Still only buying the printed kind. But I do buy yours so I'm in the once-every-six-month check someplace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. perhaps you can submit teaser paragraphs to mystery list to whet the reader's appetite.

    ReplyDelete