Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm Still A Hot Babe!

By guest blogger Laura Alden

Though there are lots of things that annoy me a little bit, there aren’t many things that annoy me a lot, so when Lorna graciously asked if I wanted to write a Pet Peeve column, it took me awhile to come up with a topic that would qualify.

Then, last week I came across something so irritating that, when I discovered it, I started shrieking loud enough that my husband came running.

It was the bathroom scale. And it was ugly.

I didn’t understand it. How could I have gained that much weight in the last two months? My weight has been (relatively) stable for ages. My eating habits haven’t changed and I’m not exercising any less. Heck, I’m so boring I’m not doing anything significantly different than I’ve been doing for the last fifteen years.

That’s when I started suspecting the truth. I went online and started reading the symptoms. And there it was. Weight gain was this website’s number seven list for indications of peri-menopause. Ahk!

I’m not sure what, exactly, I’m peevish about. My own personal weight gain? (And, no, I’m not saying how many pounds.) The fact of menopause? The reality that I’m getting older? 

Most probably what I’m peevish about is that I’m not going to escape menopause intact. My body is going to change and there’s not a whole lot I can do about it. Even though I didn’t sign up for weight gain -- quite honestly I was hoping for a miraculous weight loss -- it’s coming anyway. Sure, I’d heard that many women add a few pounds at this point in their lives. I just didn’t think it would happen to me.

(Sigh.)

But there is a plus side to getting older. I recently turned 48, which means there are only 22 years to go before I get free season passes at the local ski resorts. Now that’s something to look forward to!
====================================
Murder @ PTA Laura Alden lives in northern Michigan with her husband and two very strange cats. When she’s not writing her next book, she’s working at her day job, taking pictures for the local newspaper, reading, or doing some variety of skiing. She’s fond of long soaks in the tub, red raspberries, and blue skies.  Don't miss her first book, Murder at the PTA. Please visit Laura's web site.   Laura also posts every 19th of the month on the Killer Characters Blog.

4 comments:

  1. Laura, it doesn't get any easier. I'm older than you, I get the senior discounts, and every day is a struggle when it comes to what to eat. Or what not to eat. Good luck with your weight issues.
    I have to admit I have not read your book Murder at the PTA, though there were times I felt like doing it. Now I'm back with two elementary age grandkids living with us, so we're learning lots of new school rules. I'll get your book soon and give it a read, look forward to it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't get easier? Oh, dear. I was afraid of that. (Sigh.) Thanks for considering my book -- and good luck to both of us with that silly old weight thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura!

    I love your take on how long it will take to get that senior pass. I'm counting down the years as well.

    I've heard from your characters from your posts on Killer Characters that I can't wait to open the pages. I just have to finish one other book, then I'm hitting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Dru! I'm guessing the next 22 years is going to blow by fast, so I should probably start strength training now. My quads could use some serious work :) And I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete