Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I made it myself!

Saltine candy1 My publisher likes me to include recipes in my books.  At first, I thought this was kind of a pain.  But now I look at it as an asset.  Angelica is a bit of a gourmand.  Because of that, I have to make the recipes she makes (and adapt them) for the Booktown Mysteries.

Angelica was in a bit of a funk and needed a pick-me-up.  And since I had seen a saltine candy recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine (yard sale find) some months ago, it's been on my mind.

I decided last week that Angelica should make the recipe. But first, I needed to make it.

Well, it didn't work out that way.  First, I couldn't find that issue of the magazine, and then I found a similar recipe online, but then I didn't have the vital ingredient.

Yesterday, all the stars aligned and finally had time to not only write the scene, but test the recipe.  And, since I can't make a recipe without tweaking it (not even the first time), I made it my own.

Saltine candy2 Why oh why don't I think to take pictures AS I'm making these recipes (or have Mr. L do it)?  But, I did remember to take one during and after.

I think I like the after picture better.  How about you?  (BTW, these taste like Heath (candy) bars.)

(Where's the recipe?  It'll be in the 6th Booktown Mystery--Murder on the Half Shelf.  When will it be available?  I'm not sure.  But most likely sometime in 2012.)

6 comments:

  1. You are SO wrecking my diet right now! ;-) I've had those once and they were so. stinkin'. GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you presented this yummy snack that I think I can make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dru, it's amazingly easy to make and too wonderful for words. This would make a great hostess gift, too. Too bad I'm not invited to any parties this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorna, these look delish!! So tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm, yummy ... uh, if you can make it downstate (and across the Tappen Zee) and then a bit further south, YOU can attend MY party -- anytime!!! Shoot, I'll even make dinner. ::GRIN:: (Until then, I've GOT to get some saltines!) :-)

    ReplyDelete