Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I like the old ones the best . . .

Yesterday I finally took down the Christmas cards.  They had decorated the cork wall in our entry since early December.  Now the wall seems so ... BARE.

Now I have to decide which ones to keep.  The thing is, I love cards.  I love getting them, I love giving them, and I love BUYING them.  I have so many cards you wouldn't believe it.  I have every birthday card I've received since age 8.

I buy cards at yard sales, at crafts stores, and even the Dollar Store.  (The one place I don't buy cards is the Hallmark store.  Wow!  They're gorgeous, but boy do they cost.)

Vintage b day card I've got boxes full of new cards I'll probably never send, and boxes full of old cards that somebody else once sent.  (I love those the best.)  Last summer I bought a small box made out of laminated Christmas cards.  I was going to put my vintage Christmas cards in them for display . . . and somehow never got around to it.

(Isn't this card cute?  She'd make a perfect girlfriend for Captain Haviland, the black standard poodle in the Books By The Bay cozy series by my chum Ellery Adams. The second book in that series, A Deadly Cliche, comes out next Tuesday! Can't wait!)

Do I really need all these cards?

Nope.  But I guess they've become a collection now.

What useless thing do you collect?

9 comments:

  1. I collect lots of things. Cookbooks, autographed books, patriotic items. My husband used to collect WWII memorabilia. He's since moved onto other things, but I tend to look for Army wife and Engineer things from that era, still. Boyds Bears and cups/mugs. I can only drink out of one cup at at time, but I tend to buy mugs that have a shape that I like. Tend to do that with water glasses too. We have an eclectic mix match of drinking glasses/coffee mugs sitting right next to the matching sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bare wall can be lonely and full of possibilities at the same time. It leaves space to create new dreams and memories. A new card is on the way to populate the space -- and it's not from Hallmark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a framed Valentine's card in my daughter's room. It's one that my mother hand made for her mother. IT reminds me that true sentiment cannot be captured via a quick email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I collect the stuff to MAKE cards! Bits of this and that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect cards too! Actually I collect pretty much everything since I am a serious hoarder and the biggest stress about moving to Europe a month ago was that my husband banned most of what he calls my junk from coming! But I managed to bring along some special cards that remind me of times special people thought of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the card... so cute! You know I'm a vintage nut... vintage everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to collect stamps, buttons and ribbons until I ran out of room. Now I collect quilt books. I buy one thinking I'm going to make one of the quilts featured, but I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmarks! My husband can't understand it, especially since I only read one book at once, but I love them. If I'm in a store and see one I don't have I grab it. I've got signed bookmarks, bookmarks I've found in used books, a whole box of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose all my collections are useless, but I like them. I collect boxes and tins. I also collect rocks and shells that I've picked up. I keep them in jars on window sills and the sun shines on them!

    I have a lot of shoes and books, but I don't consciously collect them. They just happen.

    ReplyDelete