Friday, February 25, 2011

Recycling I Will Go . . .

Once upon a time I belonged to a local writers group.  Several of the ladies had been published.  Of course in those days, I thought published meant rolling in dough.

I was shocked to learn that one of the multi-published authors would reuse her manuscript drafts and print on the other side of the paper.
Whoa!  I'll never do that.

Big blue Selectric I always worked from clean copy.  In the olden days, that mean if I made a mark on a manuscript, I'd retype the whole page and/or chapter.  We're talking in the days of electric typewriters here.  When the computer came along, I'd just print out a fresh page.

Well, a few years went by.  I lost my day job, and darned if using the backside of a sheet of paper didn't seem like a pretty smart way to go, especially with the cost of paper constantly rising.

I had a HUGE stack of old manuscript pages I've slowly been going through and--holy smoke--this week I ran out.  No more big pile (and we're talking over a foot tall at one point) pile of paper. Good grief!  Now I was going to have to use NEW, UNTOUCHED paper!!!

I actually felt panicky.

And then to make it worse the dreaded toner light on my printer went on.

I see a trip to Office Max in my future.

What do you recycle on a regular basis?

7 comments:

  1. I recycle, by way of the bin from the trash service, the usual:newspapers, magazines, some mail, glass and plastic food containers.
    I don't re-use paper so much, usually put it in the recycle. Or shred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recycled paper forever, and we recycle as much as possible in the house and my husband's shop. As for the printer, have you shaken it? I'm so cheap I shake it several times before I give up and buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We recycle, bottles, plastic, and paper. I also recycle plastic supermarket bags either as bin liners or doggy bags on our many walks. Recycle leftovers, cooked roast meat becomes a different meal, Sunday Roast vegetables become Bubble and Squeak on a Monday. Garden waste becomes compost, lipstick stubs get melted down and mixed to a new colour, leftover barbeque food becomes dog treats, I know getting ridiculous now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto..Linda C.
    Try my best with most things. Take to resale shops if at all possible. But some just gets pitched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, we haven't had Bubble and Squeak in ages. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The standard - paper, plastic, glass, plastic bags. I take 'household chemicals' and electronics to our local semi-annual collections. My local Best Buy accepts old CDs, ink cartridges...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I recycle plastic and paper each week in a separate can. I have to say I don't print drafts on the other side of other drafts, but I do save the opposite sides of printed paper for notes.

    I am new to your site, by the way. Liked one of your comments on Rhys's pieces. (I'm a Molly fan, as are several of my friends.)

    ReplyDelete