Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How NOT to plant potatoes . . .

Yesterday I worked in the garden for a little while.  I planted my potatoes.

For the past few years, I've been planting my seed potatoes in a big blue tub.  Not this year.  The yield was too small, so back in the ground they go.  I have limited garden space, so they're going in behind the black-eyed susans.

Unfortunately for me, the phone rang in the middle of planting.  Since we have a wireless landline (yes, we're still dinosaurs and haven't gone totally cell yet ... maybe not for a long time), Mr. L brought the phone out to me and I had a rather long conversation with my brother.

I continued to plant my potatoes, which was rather awkward to say the least.  Everything was okay until bedtime when I realized "Ouch, my back hurts."  Only in one spot and I think it's because I was holding the phone in an awkward position for about ten minutes.

All I can say is, those potatoes better grow.  (Or maybe next time I should just call my brother back.)

Have you planted anything in your garden this year?  (The annuals go in next week.)
,

2 comments:

  1. My weeds are growing. Does that count? I have columbines that are up and blooming, the lavender plant is growing and the mums are already up and growing. Haven't gotten anything else planted yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got some REALLY fast-growing, multi-colored weeds (I think that's what they are!) that grow in my front bed to the right of my porch. One week the bed is empty, the next week that I look and -- POW!! -- it's covered by these ... whatever-they-are plants that are 6-8 inches high. Since they don't look too bad, and they are green AND cover the empty bed, I sigh and let them grow. (Talk about the lazy gardener!) Wonder what they are?

    ReplyDelete