Monday, May 23, 2011

Should L.L. be offended?

Like clockwork, every Monday I get a report on my website hits.  I'm not sure websites do as much as they used to in terms of readers visiting them, but we all have them just in case new readers want to know more about us, our books, and our characters.

If you're a practicing schizophrenic--that is, as an author I have three names--you get three reports.

My Lorna website report always comes in first.  Every week that site gets the most hits.  And it's consistent.  The same amount, give or take 10-20 hits either up or down.

My Lorraine website report shows interest in that name and work has been steadily growing since A Crafty Killing came out in February.  True, most Booktown Mystery readers haven't made the connection that Lorraine and Lorna are the same--even though I've been screaming that fact at the top of my lungs for almost three years . . . but I'm very hopeful.

Then comes my L.L. Bartlett report.  There's one word for that:  pitiful.  It's less than half of what Lorraine gets, and only a quarter of what Lorna gets--despite the fact that I've been writing under that name for three years longer than I have the Lorna name.
I don't know what to do about the fact that people don't know that Lorna/Lorraine/L.L. are the same person.

Skywriting?

I don't know what to do about pumping up those numbers, or finding more readers for Lorraine and L.L.

I wish I did.
.

7 comments:

  1. I read Dazed and Confused every morning along with Cozy Chicks, Killer Characters and Mystery Lover's Kitchen I also check up on Cleo Coyle and her coffee house mysteries. I've put all 3 of your personas in my favorites and will check up on them now as well. I love your books and have read all the Jeff Resnick books but the last one and am now reading the Bookshop mysteries when I am done with them I will start the Crafty books. Keep up the good work. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always heard that "branding" your name was one of the most important steps toward proper publicity. Apparently you've made it a bit harder on yourself by branding THREE names. As for me, my real name has very little internet space. I am pretty much just "Groovy". That should make my promos quite interesting when I finally (someday) get published.

    Shall I be Groovy? Or Groovyoldlady? or Groovy Grunder? or Sherry Groovy Grunder? or Groovy Sherry Grunder? or just boring old Sherry Grunder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sue. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of Bound By Suggestion. I've had very little feedback. It's the first Jeff Resnick book that I wrote with his POV and Richard's.

    I like Groovy Sherry Grunder, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Jeff Resnick books, especially 'Bound by Suggestion.' I thought the two POVs worked well. At first I was a little confused, as I always am when a novel has 2 POVs, but it didn't take me long to figure out what you were doing. Both Jeff and Richard are trying to figure each other out and you managed to remain true to that in each POV while letting the reader in on some important internal struggles in Richard which I might have otherwise missed or misjudged. I like Richard better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it help if I told you I just finished the first Jeff Resnick on my Nook, loved it, and am ordering the second?

    ReplyDelete
  6. None of your "personalities" should be offended! ALL your books written by all your various "personalities" are loved by a great many people. Don't let the number of "hits" any of them get, get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, validation always feels good. : )

    Thanks, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete