Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And I got on the scale this morning . . .

After Christmas, I decided to lose weight.  I was tired of being fat and I saw how my Dad suffered because he was overweight.  I decided to be different.

In years past, I've usually taken the "easy" way out.  I went on Nutra-System.  Well, the food is just as bad, but these days they don't let you choose what you want to eat--at least not at first.  They make you eat a LOT of pasta and . . . I'm not a big pasta fan.  So why would I want to spend nearly $300 eating stuff that makes me want to hurl?

If I religiously followed Weight Watchers, I would lose weight a lot faster.  But I dohwanna.  Actually, I'm kinda sorta following Weight Watchers because I truly believe it's the only sensible diet there is.  You eat what you want.  Just not in quantities you want.  And I have cut down--but not cut everything out.  (Heck, I had an Abbott's Custard on Friday--but instead of the regular sized one, I had a kiddie cone.  Guess what?  It was just as satisfying as the big one.)

It's been five months now and I've lost 18 pounds.  Yea!

Except for my jeans being a bit baggier, I don't feel like I've lost ANY weight.  I asked Mr. L this morning, "Do I look thinner to you?" and he said, "How can I tell?  I see you every day?"

I think I'll always see myself as FAT, even if I lose another 50 pounds.  I'm like those girls who are anorexic and see themselves as fat . . . only I really AM fat. I just see myself as fatter than I am.

We'll see a large woman in the grocery store and I'll say to Mr. L "Am I as fat as her?" and he always says "No."  But is he lying or do I just see myself as big as these other women?

I really don't have a goal in mind when it comes to weight loss.  More a pants size.  I have brand new jeans in the closet and it would be nice if I could fit into them.  Sadly, at 18 pounds less I still can't get into them.  But they're my current goal.  Once I can get into them, maybe I'll buy another pair of jeans a size smaller.  All I know is I don't want to end up a statistic:  diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic illnesses, and then dead.

I'm working toward that goal one pound at a time.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on losing 18 pounds. That's awesome!

    Are you exercising too? Building muscle and burning fat makes a WORLD of difference in how you look and in how you feel!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 lbs. Yea!!!!!

    I agree with your NutriSystem comment. Hated it. I'm trying to eat smaller portions, but haven't lost a pound - even with exercising. It's heck getting old!

    Keep up the good work.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that if you lose it slowly you are more likely to keep it off so Congratulations and keep up the Great Work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Losing 18 pounds is a lot of hard work. I started about 6 weeks ago on the Weight Watchers program and i've lost 14 pounds. Yeah! No matter what you do - it is hard. I also started walking inside one of the local Malls last Saturday - today is day 4 and i'm getting ready to leave right now for my walk. Just reading your blog made me feel good about going for my walk - maybe that is something i should do - blog while i'm loosing this weight. I don't usually talk about it. But like you - i don't want to end up a statistic. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. 18 pounds is 18 pounds. I've started....again, and my goal is to lose 2 pant sizes by the end of Sept. We'll see how that goes... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am exercising, but probably not nearly enough. It's hard when your job is to sit all day in front of a computer. I try to get up every 250 words and do 3-5 minutes of aerobics. Some days I do better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the weight loss. Losing it one pound at a time works well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the working at home issues, The kitchen is only a few rooms away. I have tried both Nutrisystem (didn't make it through the month) and Weight watchers (put on 40 lb since I joined) I'm thinking of going back to Take Off Pounds Sensibley ( got down to 119 last time I was there)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!! 18 pounds is a lot. I bet if you had to carry 18 pounds of bricks all day you would say its a lot too. Don't minimize your accomplishment. 18 POUNDS!! WOW! You are that much closer to fitting into your sexy jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo Hoo! Congratulations on your weight loss! You Go Girl!! 18 pounds is a lot and I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! You are doing it the right way. It's not WHAT you eat, it's HOW MUCH!!!! I've lost 90# and I still have icecream almost every nite. The amount is much smaller then it was years ago. And I eat what ever I'm hungry for... including potato chip! I didn't use any of the "pay for" diet plans. Just the regular food I cooked for my hubby and me. It works....size 20 to a 12 is proof enuff for me. Hang in there it takes time. YOu didn't put it on over nite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, the more strict a diet is, the more likely I am to cheat and give up. I've succeeded cutting out sweets but can only last about 1 1/2 yrs. then gain it all back. Now I'm just trying to maintain a 20-25 lb. loss and eating some sweets but not a lot. 18 lbs is very hard. Try to feel good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Weight Watcher leader told me when I lost the first 12 pounds to go to the store and lift a 12 pound turkey and that was how much extra weight I was carrying around. For every pound of weight we lost we were supposed to imagine a pound of butter (4 sticks to a pound)...18 pouunds is a lot of sticks of butter so CONGRATULATIONS and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Kiddo, congrats!!!! Good for you!!

    I'm still trying and (marginally) loosing and while it doesn't look like much, I'm now down to the 4th buttonhole of my belt from the end instead of the 1st. You keep working at it, I know with your drive, you'll achieve your goal!

    At least you aren't into cola drinks. I am. Now a new study says diet sodas put the pounds on around your waist! (Uh, guess where the greatest percent of mine is. *sigh*) Keep eating sensibly, in smaller portions, and you'll do it. And you have a whole lot of friends pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete