Friday, July 15, 2011

Go Away Mr. Groundhog!!!

Every year I (attempt to) grow beans.  I've learned in the past that once they start to climb, they're usually safe from critters.

Not this year!

I put down dried blood and that usually does the trick.

Well, I ran out and something ate all but two of my potato plants.  While waiting for another shipment to arrive (purchased via the Internet), something attacked my beans.  It just chopped them about six inches from the ground, but they're all withering and dead up above.

Grrrrr!

Now, I'm an animal lover, but not when it comes to wild critters eating my garden.

The dried blood arrived yesterday, and I gave the ground around the potatoes a good treatment, but not the beans.  Since the critter was discouraged in the potato patch s/he went straight for the beans. You can bet I spread a liberal supply of dried blood around today -- but it's a day too late.

Will we get beans this year?

I sure hope so, but I'm not confident.

What are the critters eating in your garden?


(P.S.  Today my character Katie Bonner is blogging over at the Killer Characters site--talking about her dreams for the English Ivy Inn.  Come on over and see what she's got to say.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I feel for you. I don't even try to raise anything on the ground anymore. I had a nice squash and pumpkin patch going one year, then I think snails just ruined them. Or some beetle. In order to figure that out, I'd need to be an entomologist! But I know the rats are eating my papaya. I've yet to get one of those. The only thing I can grow and eat are citrus. I do have some residual sweet potato growing from plants I put in a few years ago, but they usually don't make it to full size because my ever loving dogs find them. My hat is off to you and other hobby growers. And the pros! I don't know how they feed the world with all those varmints they are up against. :-) Good luck with your beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chipmunks! They love beans and tomatoes and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year I grew watermelon, or I tried to grow them. Then my Great Dane found this wonderful ball in the garden and played with it until it broke open and he discovered it was wet and squishy inside. End of watermelons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chipmunks! They eat holes in my tomatoes and eat my strawberries!

    ReplyDelete