Friday, July 1, 2011

Looking forward to the weekend?

It used to be that when a holiday rolled around, you could count on a couple of things.  Celebrating it with family and lots of great food.

These days, what's left of the family is scattered.  Mr. L is looking at gall bladder surgery in a few weeks, so there won't be any potato salad, deviled eggs, hot dogs or hamburgers.

I miss the old days when the whole family would get together.  I sure miss my Dad.  Two years ago was his last 4th of July celebration.  By then he could barely walk.  Two days later he was in the hospital and never came home again.  Maybe that's why the 4th of July holiday is something I no longer look forward to.

This 4th of July holiday is going to be a working weekend for me.  I'll be painting my office (FINALLY) and working on my writing projects.

I sure hope you're going to be with family, having fun, and eating potato salad.

If not, what are your plans for the weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Sunday we are celebrating my sweetie's 64th birthday with grilled steak miracle whip cake and whatever else he wants. Then Monday we will grill out burgers and try to stay cool. This will be the first holiday without his sweet little mom She will be missed

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4th of July Holidays are a little bittersweet- it was my Grandmothers birthday, who is no longer with us, and my MIL passed away just after the fourth (a few years ago) and she loved the holiday- her favorite next to Christmas. We always get a few sparklers and firecrackers in her honor.

    This year, I feel blessed. Because its a long holiday, my son gets to come home from his summer school/job, we have some other family coming in, and there will most defiantly be potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live near Montrose, PA which has a great 4th of July parade. This town is the most patriotic place I've ever seen, so the parade plus crafts and food on the town green make a happy day for everyone. People come from NY and NJ as well as PA for this celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no immediate plans, other than to stay out of the humid weather.

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand about missing your Dad. Mine passed away two weeks ago tomorrow. Tomorrow would have been his and Mom's 62nd wedding anniversary. So it will be a somber holiday for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to be with family and freinds but no more. And this year hubby will be working tomorrow and has a small jobe for both of us on Monday, we have to close a house for the summer for a lady, so we will go to a new Chinese resturant. And for the first time oldest grandson is far from home so can't celelbrate with him.

    ReplyDelete