Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yup, that's the entire crop

For the past few weeks we've been drowning in tomatoes and green beans.  Not a bad was to go, eh?
Friday I realized I had forgotten about my potato crop.

The potatoes had a rough summer.  Mr. Groundhog kept eating them down to about the 2-inch level.  Then one day, he said, "I've had enough potato leaves" and went out to the farm to destroy a large part of their eggplant crop.

So, the potatoes soldiered on.  They never had flowers and I figured we'd never get any potatoes, so I more or less forgot about them.  Until Friday.

By Friday, most of the leaves had shriveled up.  I looked around the weed-strewn patch and thought, "I'll never find them."  But, I dug where I thought they might be and sure enough I found them.  Aren't they cute?  We had some (with parsley from the yard) the other night.  Yum yum!

Potato crop 2011

4 comments:

  1. One of our big successes in gardening when we lived in Maine was potatoes. They were delicious. Not such good news for the farmer's eggplant crop though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh ... hooray for the eggplants ...? Yep, your potatoes are cute. Glad they were also delicious!!

    We had our neighborhood block party on 9/11 (our way of remembering) & with the invitation in our mailbox was a cute little basil cutting. On a whim, I put it in a glass of water & it sprouted. So I stuck it in a container at the side of the house. Darn if that little cutting isn't STILL growing! Gotta love Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunnies ate our greenbeans but not the carrots. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete