Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Whoa--didn't like THAT book!

Over the weekend I read a book by an author I admire. I've read just about every book she's ever written.  I've loved just about every book she's ever write, but not that one. In fact,  I could find very little to like about the book. And yet, I read it to the bitter end (and the ending was just that--bitter; it left an unpleasant tang on my tongue). So, am I going to run to Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com to write a scathing review?

Not on your life.

This author is big, much BIGGER than I will ever be.  She writes women's fiction.  She makes mega, Mega, MEGA bucks. She's hit the New York Times bestsellers list (in hardcover) at least 16 times (and probably the USA Today top fifty as many times, too). So how could she write a book I didn't like?

Was the novel well written? Yes. Her gift for description is to die for. (Well, at least if you aspire to be an author.) Did she have a bad plot? Nope. She's written almost a score of books--she knows what she's doing. So what was the problem?

It just wasn't my cup of tea. It just didn't "sing" for me, but that doesn't mean it didn't hit the right notes for thousands (and we're talking HUNDREDS of thousands) of readers.  So why not go on a public forum and tell the world my opinion of this book?  Because it's not necessary. Would I have written a glowing review if I'd loved it?  Probably not, so why do it if I didn't enjoy the book?

With the advent of social media, far too many people log on to review sites and vent their spleens. I've read some pretty nasty book reviews--and have been on the receiving end of them as well.  Will a nasty review keep this fantastically talented woman from making a living?  No. And she doesn't expect everyone will like her book(s).  But neither does she (or any author) expect to be trashed in a public forum.

We all have different tastes.  Not all books will appeal to everyone.  Will I warn others away from the book?  No. It's got quite a twist at the end that some (probably many) will find quite appealing.  Will I read her next book?  Probably. If I don't like it, then I will probably stop reading her work. There are plenty of other brilliant authors out there. But trash her work?  Never.

Have you ever trashed a book on an online site?  If so, why?  (Feel free to answer anonymously.)

9 comments:

  1. No, I have never trashed a book. I feel as you do, that even if I don't like it, there are alot of people who will and it would ruin it for them if they read a bad review and decided not to read it. If I love a book I definately will tell everyone though. By the way, just finished "Murder on the Half Shelf" and loved it. I finished it way to quickly so now I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never trashed a book. My mamma taught me if I can't say something nice not to say anything at all. SO if I don't like a book, I just don't write a review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I will write negative reviews of a book, I will not trash it. If someone asks me what I thought in person, I will be honest and I do say you might like it. The book just didn't click with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happened to me recently with a book that I was reading. It was okay and I simply choose not to write a review for it. However, a friend read the same book and loved it.

    I think that's what peope forget, that we have different taste and if a book is not your cup of tea, it may be someone else and to write a negative review is just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not into trashing a book either. I won a book and part of winning was to write a review. I did write the review and was very careful to make sure that anyone who might read it understood that I felt the book was well written but it was just not a book for me, I just could not get into the story. If not for the need for a review I would not have written one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't post negative reviews either. While I might not enjoy the book I know some other people would and why spoil it for others. I luckily haven't read many cozies that I didn't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we do a disservice to readers and writers alike by withholding or not telling the truth about our opinion of a book. They're expensive -- I count on the opinions of friends and other readers and writers that I trust to give me their view on whether that investment is worth it. Authors also need constructive criticism if their craft is ever to improve. The lack of that criticism is why there is so much unreadable dreck on the market.

    NOW, that being said, "criticism" and "trashing" are completely different animals, imo. "Trashing" is an attack, tearing apart a piece and not bothering to find anything positive about it. "Criticism" says the things you're speaking of -- "this wasn't to my taste, but here's something that others might love."

    I will tell you without reservation that I HAVE trashed books -- books that were offensive (and not in a historical context, or based on some narrow belief system). Books that show bigotry toward certain groups, complete ignorance of a topic the author purports to be an expert in, or a book whose entire existence seems to be to do their own trashing of something or someone they don't like. For example, I recently read a romance that was so homophobic, I had to put it down. And I noted it strongly in my review. I have also taken STRONG exception to NYT Bestsellers that look like they've never seen an editor. There's no excuse for that. Finally, I am unapologetic about my loathing of the current love of rape culture in YA romance -- I don't think it's okay not to speak out against wildly popular books that our young women are reading that teach them being abused and pressured against their will is not "love."

    So... I'm of two very distinct minds on the subject of "trashing."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Anonymous -- "criticism" and "trashing" are two very different animals. If you find a book offensive, by all means say it offends but be darn clear that YOU, the writer, are the one being offended and say exactly what in the book offends. Also point out that others might not feel the same and for the individual reader to come to their own conclusions. I do feel, though, that really bad writing, incomplete or incomprehensible plots, poorly thought out characters, and just plain false information should be noted. This should NEVER be done in a way to belittle or humiliate.

    Frankly, one paperback so infuriated me with its lousy writing, I wrote in the margins all through the book (my own, I might add!) everywhere the author wrote another clunker. I think there was something on at least every other page that lit my fire. Could not believe a publisher had paid money for that tripe! Didn't post any kind of a review, but can only fantasize what I'd (like to) say to the author if I ever met him/her in person. If I was forced to write a review for that book, I'd try to phrase it so that the author could learn how to improve rather than feel he/she had been beaten with a club. I do try to follow the Golden Rule in writing any kind of a review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have written negative reviews but not very many. I don't consider them the same as "trashing" the book. I try to explain exactly why I didn't like the book with examples of characters, plot, description. I don't just say I hated it. In general, I love all books & try to find a redeeming quality in all of them. Some just don't have any.

    ReplyDelete