Friday, April 11, 2014

FOODIE FRIDAY: The story behind the recipe

Hot_Dawg-smallBecause I'm basically lazy, I'm updating the recipes on my Lorna Barrett website at a rate of once a week.  Maybe people will keep showing up to get the next one, maybe they won't.  (I'm not seeing a huge influx of hits, so it's undoubtedly the latter.)

Spaghetti sauce SmallIn MURDER IS BINDING, Angelica makes homemade meat sauce.  Well, there's always a little bit of me (okay, sometimes a LOT of me) in my books, and there's always a story behind every favorite recipe.

When I was growing up, my mother made sauce from scratch. So, the first time I invited my boyfriend over and made him a home cooked meal, I decided to make my sauce from scratch, too. We always had spareribs, meatballs, and sausage in the sauce we ate growing up.  I never cared for the pasta--just the sauce (and LOTS of Italian bread plastered with butter).

I decided to impress this boyfriend (now known as Mr. L) by making homemade lasagna WITH my mother's homemade sauce. I spent the ENTIRE DAY in the kitchen.  The house smelled HEAVENLY. (Formerly) Mr. S showed up, and when I brought out this GIGANTIC lasagna, he ate ONE TINY PIECE. I offered to send a big chunk of it home with him (hey, he had three teenagers at home) and he said, "No, thank you."

Let me tell you, Mr. S lost a helluva lot of points that night. In retrospect, he says he was a fool to turn down the leftovers, but his excuse was he didn't want to look grabby. My mother, father, and I ate that lasagna for a week. (Damn fine it was, too.)

Anyway, long story short(er), the recipe this week is my mom's homemade sauce. You're going to love it.
Want your own Foodie Friday mug?  Get one here!