Monday, January 28, 2019

Time to Tidy

Last winter, I started watching decluttering videos on YouTube and I did a major decluttering in a couple of areas of my home. I reorganized our "supply" closet in Mr. L's office and it had pretty much stayed organized. I did a purge on my office closet, but somehow it's back to square one--as is the rest of my office. It's time to do another purge.

So, where did I turn to?  Yup, YouTube. Only this time, I'm consulting the queen of tidying, Marie Kondo. This diminutive Japanese lady has written several books on the subject, including The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I haven't yet read it, but I've got it on order and it should arrive next week.

Ms. Kondo advises you to start your purge with your clothes.  I did that, too, last January, and managed to weed out a big box of stuff but the closet is still bulging. Mostly with things I THINK I might wear. I bought a dress (yes, me--who hasn't worn one in at least 20 years) to go on a cruise and paid retail. (I know! A shock.) Never wore it. I've got that tight little black cocktail dress I wore to a wedding 30 years ago and can't seem to part with because -- hey, I once was that size. (Ah, the memories...mostly of feeling starved.)

One thing I have not done as I examined each item was ask myself if the item brings me joy. Hmm. I haven't experienced joy all that many times, so this is a tough question to ask. Does the little blue teddy bear that has sat on or near my desk for the past twenty years bring me joy? No. But my mother gave him to me (his name is Roger), and he pleases me. How about that icky tasting chapstick on my desk? It definitely doesn't bring me joy, but it gets the job done. Do I really need a planter filled with a gazillion pens, pencils, markets, fans, and at least four pairs of scissors on my desk? Well, yes. I am constantly losing my pens, fans, and scissors. Having more than one pair at hand may not bring me joy, but it's a lot less frustrating to know if I want a pair of scissors, I won't have to go hunting for them.

So I will read Ms. Kondo's book and I will try to embrace her ways (I think I could really get into her method of folding T-shirts). It's going to be a journey.  I'll keep you posted along the way.

Have you embrased the life changing magic of tidying up?

No comments:

Post a Comment