Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back In The Saddle Again

A week or so ago, I sent my work in progress out to three first readers and yesterday I received the last of the comments.  Overall, they liked it.  (Whew!) Now I'm working on the rewrite.

I wish I could say I have a nice, leasurely amount of time to turn this puppy around, but I don't.  It has to arrive on my editor's desk on September 7th.  Last time around, I pushed the envelope and didn't get the manuscript ready to go until the day before the deadline.  No problem, I said, and moseyed on down to the local UPS Store.  I nearly hemmoraged (or at least my wallet did) when I learned that to overnight the manuscript was going to cost me a whopping $40.  That ain't gonna happen again.

Coconutcake5-08 The rewrite is going well, and I might even finish up later today.  The thing that's holding me back?  Testing those recipes.  I have a feeling I'll be cooking my butt off this weekend as I make several different versions of each dish until I'm satisfied.  (Including a coconut cake--but wait, it's my birthday.  What's wrong with having three birthday cakes, right?)

Rewrites are either a pain in the butt or a lot of fun.  This one is fun because so far my first readers haven't found too much wrong.  And I love it that they've (hopfully) found all the typos and glitches.  That makes me look good.  I want to please my editor and if he enjoys reading the ms. and is happy he doesn't have to do much work on it--we're both very happy.

But in the meantime, it's back to those recipes.

Oh, let me eat cake!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your revisions. How come you don't email your manuscript to your editor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dru, the contract stipulates that I WILL send in two hardcopies of the manuscript and a copy on a CD--so that's what I'll deliver. However, they now do the copy edit (from my CD) electronically. Eventually, they'll do away with the whole hardcopy deal. (I must say I liked doing edits via hardcopy a LOT better. Eh, progress.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three first readers? Wow! I've been dealing with First Reader issues myself. You are blessed.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut cake, did you say? My absolute favorite. Happy Birthdy and eat all the cake you want.
    Happy tweaking on your ms, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed your birthday??? FB has let me down. Happy belated Birthday! Hope it was fun, and the cake turned out. Good luck with the revisions.

    ReplyDelete