Friday, July 9, 2010

See what I found in my yard

For the last week or so, every time I look out the kitchen window, I've seen a bird fly into the arborvitae. Yesterday, I saw why.  Baby birds in a nest.

Baby birds 1  This morning, I ventured out with my camera to take a look.  Mama bird (Robin?) had done a good job with camouflage, even covering the babies with a small branch. Surprisingly, Mama built her nest only about four feet off the ground, and there are at least five or six feral cats roaming the area -- at least they were during the winter.

I hope the babies make it!

4 comments:

  1. Great picture. I just have my piggy ground hog hanging about, but not eating my stuff any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a skunk on our patio in the middle of the day on the fourth! He was eating what was left of the bread crumbs I put out for the birds (which the neighbors' dog usually eats), then wandered off. Acting lethargic and took no notice of us (thank heaven). He was across the road the next evening. Very strange. Baby robins are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! I envy those who can see the beauty of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Providing easy to reach food for the momma robin may help. Shortens the time she has to spend away from the nest.

    ReplyDelete