Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sitting all alone at my book launch

It was just a teeny little mistake.  And in fact it wasn't even a MISTAKE or a typo it was the lack of a space.

See, the other day I emailed my postcards announcing my book launch for Chapter & Hearse.  Because of space limitations on the sticker I placed on the postcards, I typed the following:

BOOKSIGNING: Aug. 5-7pm

Do you anything wrong with that?  I sure didn't.  To me it said AUGUST 5, 7 PM

But one of my readers wrote to me and said, 5-7 p.m. But WHEN????

I have a feeling I'll be sitting all alone at my book launch next week.

Do you think I'm doomed or would you have read it as August 5th, too?


And just for a laugh (because i could sure use one about now), go watch this video by Parnell Hall about his experiences at signings where no one shows up.

10 comments:

  1. Love this! And I love that video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parnell's video just cracks me up.

    Hopefully if they call the store, they'll be able to give them the correct date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorna - I have to say...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who does that kind of thing.... I hope the store is able to make your book signing time clear, and that you have a great turnout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argggh! I have done such things. I'll cross my fingers and toes for you. Phone people - get a crowd of your dear friends to come. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, hate to say this but I'd read that as 5-7 pm with the date missing. But I'd also call the store or check your blog, or whatever to find out, so hopefully you won't be singing the "Nobody's There" song. LOVE that video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be confused by that but I'd just check the store's website or perhaps yours. I wouldn't let a little confusion stop me. : )

    BTW, the word verification I got for this post was "miscom" ... too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be on your wave-length, 'cause I read it & immediately thought: Aug 5th at 7 pm. Only got confused after I started thinking. (Does that mean I should give up thinking?)

    Your readers are intelligent enough to either a) call the bookstore or b) check your website. Chin up, you won't be sitting all by yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't have a problem with the date, but I was wondering about the WHERE. (You probably had that elsewhere on the card—and it would be too far for me anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far, I've only mailed out postcards to local readers telling them of my book launch of August 5, 7 p.m. at the Greece Ridge Mall Barnes & Noble in Rochester, NY.

    When I get the rest of the postcards from my publisher (next week?), I'll be mailing them to the rest of my readers and librarians.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I'm in Parnell's video!! I saw Pat Remick, too! His Bouchercon signing was actually Malice Domestic. I'm the one at the table waving her arms right after the shot of Mary Higgins Clark.

    Believe me, Parnell got people to sign for there! But he is screamingly funny!

    ReplyDelete