Friday, November 5, 2010

Who's Stressed?

All I have to do to get stressed is look at the calendar.  I've got three "big" (for me) events coming up this month that are sure to disrupt my already disrupted writing schedule.  I don't get a lot of writing done when my life is disrupted.

Table1 The first biggie is the Churchmouse Holiday Bazaar. (Why are all these craft shows called bazaars?)  I do three craft shows a year and this is my favorite.  I have an nice location and as it's relatively early in the holiday craft show circuit, people are happy and in a buying mood.  (That changes as you get to the last one, two weeks before Christmas, where the people have been to several craft shows and are bored by the whole thing and just want to eat pizza and baked goods while they wander around not buying anything.)

I take "goodie bags" filled with bookmarks, postcards and recipe cards from other authors.  I'm in the process of assembling all that. It'll take me 2-3 hours to get them ready, but I'm still waiting for a few more authors to send me stuff.  (So that's on the schedule for next week.)

Two days after the craft show, I have my dental implant surgery.  I've been assured that this is nothing to get upset about.  It's not as bad as the last one (the extractions and bone graft) and since they gave me enough novocaine to numb an elephant, I had no complaints about pain.  Still, just thinking about it is giving me the heebie jeebies.  Call it a procedure if you want to, to me it's still SURGERY.

Last . . . Thanksgiving.  First of all, it's three days after the surgery and my mouth will have fresh stitches.  It's hard enough to eat with two teeth missing; adding stitches to the mix makes it worse.

I'll have a house guest for three days.

I don't know who is hosting Thanksgiving this year.  It might be me.  More work.  And did I mention a house guest, too?

I figure I've got a week of good writing days before the anxiety becomes too great and I fall apart.  But everything that needs to get done is on my mind.  Plus the book.  Oh yeah, and I have a galley proof to hand in by the 29th, too.

Do holidays put your knickers in a twist, too?

6 comments:

  1. My schedule is ALWAYS full. I'm in the sandwich gen with 3 ailing parents and 3 young grandchildren and 2 school age kiddos. But naNoWriMo is really helping me. I've managed (thusfar) to write every day, which is a HUGE step for me. I think I'll even write on Thanksgiving (and I will be the hostess) for an hour or two before the oven has to heat up.

    Of course, I don't have job writing deadlines...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--you ARE stressed! (Been through the ailing parent routine. It's NOT fun--and extremely stressful.) Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I never was able to get more than about 15,000 words written in a month -- and that's about what I do today, too. (Must crack my own whip if I'm going to hand this one in on time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving doesn't usually bother me because I leave town and don't worry about anything except the menu at my mom's. Christmas is another story. We usually have to coordinate at least 5 different Christmases between our families, and that gets me stressed. I'm a planner and my hubbie's family is not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can pretty much go with the flow on Thanksgiving but Christmas... I have a recurring dream that usually kicks in mid-December where it's Christmas Eve and I realize I don't have any presents for whoever. Or in extreime cases, any presents for anyone. It's enough to wake me in a cold sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get stressed attending the family holiday gatherings. If I could only stay home, but then they call me anti-social, but really it is stressful attending the gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your schedule leaves me panting! Wow. First all, good luck on the upcoming dental "procedure." I'm sure you'll make it thru with flying colors, but a little nudge in the right quarter (hello, Upstairs!) can certainly help. You'll have it, I'm sure, from all your fans. Next, put your house guest to work, bringing you tea (or what ever stimulant you choose) and rubbing your shoulders. (Hey, you're a best-selling author & deserve SOME perks!) Last, here's one more stress-inducing reminder -- don't forget to turn your clocks back tomorrow night!!! (If you're house is like mine, that means about 22 clocks to check, including the stove, the microwave, the DVD, the clock radios, wristwatches, AND the clocks in the cars!!) Have fun! ::evil toothy grin::

    ReplyDelete